Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Sore pinkies? #60246
    Tacye
    Participant

    Or take a rubber band (loose enough it doesn’t cut the blood supply off) and fasten your pinky to the 4th to remind you. I see on another thread I am not the only person to suggest this!

    in reply to: Knuckle pain #60254
    Tacye
    Participant

    Which knuckle? The one nearest the tip of that finger sometimes complains at me if I don’t keep my finger in a nice smooth curve but let it bend back or bend much more than the others.

    How fast are the runs? Is it worth discussing with your teacher not placing the 3rd before hand – have the 3rd hovering towards its note and place as you come off the 4th.

    in reply to: Harp serial numbers #76701
    Tacye
    Participant

    I assume the numbers are mostly to help the makers keep records, but I would expect the maker to be more use than a distributor.

    If this doesn’t work you could post the make and number here and see if anyone has a nearby number of known age.

    in reply to: Info @ a wire-strung by Rocky Mountain Enterprises #76692
    Tacye
    Participant

    There are two main potential issues that I can think of for changing from wire to nylon. The first is that the strings may be too close together and the second is if the harp is so heavily built the sound is really disappointing.

    in reply to: playing wire harp and nylon/flurocarbon #76556
    Tacye
    Participant

    Glad it helped! It is always nice bringing necglected harps back into use.

    in reply to: String Anchors #76658
    Tacye
    Participant

    If improvising I don’t think I would like metal (too hard) or anything too squishy and likely to pull through. Nylon serves to stand in for gut as a string material so I would first look at plastic bits I had around (paintbrush handle maybe?) and secondly at hardwoods – softwood compresses more than I would like.

    in reply to: String Anchors #76649
    Tacye
    Participant

    I would use a triple thickness of the 4th C – and next time you are ordering spare strings ask for a stash of extra thick bits. These should just be popped in the envelope free. Or scrounge off your teacher or a harp playing friend.

    in reply to: Playing gigs in Beach community #62617
    Tacye
    Participant

    I busked a couple of times with a friend playing duets on two concert grands… but my CG is not going to mix with a beach!

    in reply to: Playing gigs in Beach community #62614
    Tacye
    Participant

    Busking can actually be very lucrative – though obviously depend on local ethos and legislation.

    in reply to: Confidence….! #62605
    Tacye
    Participant

    I agree -work on recovery plans. Know what the important bare bones are for example an even pulse of notes or a few key chords even if you only play the tonic as octaves. Have your pedals marked in at places where you can spare the brain to get back on track.

    Advice when I turned up at my teacher with the Magic Fire Music – sit up straight, look confident and anyone who notices mistakes will assume one of the other harpists made them!

    in reply to: Where to buy Delacour harp levers. #76640
    Tacye
    Participant

    I am sure Teifi harps will know – Teifi’s own levers have much the same mechanics, but different handles.

    in reply to: Pedal felt squeaking on wood. Any ideas? #76622
    Tacye
    Participant

    I haven’t walked past a cobbler’s scrap basket in years either – but can find most things on ebay! Yes I sewed them – it was reasonably tough to do, but worth it to break the tedious felt packing/wear/regulation pattern.

    in reply to: Pedal felt squeaking on wood. Any ideas? #76620
    Tacye
    Participant

    Sylvia, It is just leather – I chose a bit the right thickness from a cobbler’s scrap basket and cut the rectangles myself.

    in reply to: Pedal felt squeaking on wood. Any ideas? #76615
    Tacye
    Participant

    Are they felt or suede leather? Every few years I put a little leather dressing on my leather ‘felts’ but I think pilgrim use suede (when they use leather) and mine are smooth leather so am not sure it would transfer across.

    I can’t see talc doing any harm.

    If they are red they will be felt – dark brown is the thicker felt for the Progress and the leather is tan. Personally I love leather instead of felt – I used to wear through felts in a year or two but haven’t needed to change them since I put leather on 10 years ago.

    in reply to: Cars & Transportation #76593
    Tacye
    Participant

    Not only does the harp influence choice of car, it can influence our choice of house!

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 1,469 total)