Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,566 through 2,580 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166892

    Is her name Who She? Who are you talking about?

    in reply to: GOOD AND BAD STUDENTS #87397

    I wanted to continue on this point. This kind of teaching may strike some as harsh or cruel, but it is ultimately deeply loving. It is aimed at getting to the deepest levels of the student, rather than skating along the surface, happy-go-lucky-like. It does not require abuse, but toughness. It can be done with great kindness, and a perceptive student will know that. Perhaps there is another way of reaching them through praise alone, but that doesn’t work with everyone, and which way to use may just depend on how that student is built. Music is a tough world, though, and we do need to be strong enough to deal with tough situations, as Carl describes. And I hope he was not including me in his list of male performers, which is probably not likely anyway. Is there a gender difference in those situations? An interesting question.

    in reply to: Eyes changing #164287

    See my post about the Clip’n’Flip magnifying lenses for less than ten dollars.

    in reply to: GOOD AND BAD STUDENTS #87395

    Thank you for those insights. Yes, I think that kind of arrogance is bad, and I think it has to do with ego and personality formation. That is where the old masters would simply break down the student’s resistance either by telling them how much they don’t know, or giving them something they can’t play and making them go all the way through it, like the first harp part to Symphonie Fantastique. Then, once the resistance is down, they would gently lead the student into improvement with information and a little praise, and earn their trust. It has to do with establishing authority and leadership, and the older the student, perhaps the harder it is. I don’t know that much of child psychology and development, but more can be found in that field. This response is based on observation and experience as a student, and a recent discussion with a friend who works with children in crisis. There are very specific ways to handle children who are “acting out”, and part of it has to do with establishing authority. We must also remember the “olden days” of the 1960s when teachers naturally maintained authority at all times, even when playing with children, it was always as a teacher, not a grown-up kid, so there was no awkward need to re-establish authority when called upon.

    It is not so different in teaching interpretation either, the adolescent ego wants “self-expression” and thinks that is the purpose of art, and therefore might run rough-shod over the music, not understanding the need for a learning process in interpretation. Blending freedom and authoritarian teaching is probably difficult, but I would venture to say you can’t have one without the other and get very good results. Except for rare individuals, complete freedom will allow the student to display ignorance of the music, and complete authoritarianism may

    in reply to: Help please: High School Level Harp Parts #83510

    Two good parts for technique building are Wagner’s Prelude to die Meistersinger, and Tchaikovsky’s Capriccio Italien and Romeo and Juliet Fantasy-Overture. Also, music from Lehar’s the Merry Widow, Gluck’s Orfeo, the Handel operas, Faure’s Pelleas et Melisande.

    in reply to: Teachers Targeted by Scams #87023

    Here’s a new one:

    in reply to: Budget Harp Rental in Florida–Anyone rented from them? #164234

    It’s Fleischer, and you get what you can with what you can pay. I’m thrilled someone is providing low-cost rentals.

    in reply to: Budget Harp Rental in Florida–Anyone rented from them? #164232

    I see, but it doesn’t say who they are or how they acquired so many old harps.

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103066

    But just think, you had total power over a famous conductor! It should have felt glorious.

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103065

    And I thought you meant Werner Klemperer from Hogan’s Heroes. He would have made me very nervous.

    in reply to: Budget Harp Rental in Florida–Anyone rented from them? #164230

    Where are they located?

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103060

    Not harp-related, but I had a couple of encounters with Jennifer Grey, one including Matthew Broderick, and once with Woody Allen and Mia Farrow. I saw some in passing: Lynn Redgrave, Marian Seldes (rude), John McMartin, not so very many considering I lived in New York for thirteen years. Oh, and what’s-‘is-name

    in reply to: GOOD AND BAD TEACHERS #83954

    That’s funny, I looked all over in the mirror, and I can’t see Salzedo’s name anywhere.

    in reply to: GOOD AND BAD TEACHERS #84667

    That’s funny, I looked all over in the mirror, and I can’t see Salzedo’s name anywhere.

    in reply to: GOOD AND BAD TEACHERS #85177

    That’s funny, I looked all over in the mirror, and I can’t see Salzedo’s name anywhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,566 through 2,580 (of 2,806 total)