As a new subscriber, I am just reading all of this now, in September. Thank you all for sharing. We all have moments of achieving “unintended results.” This is a part of life. Where we go with that information is up to us.
I have come to accept – and I am using this as a pep talk for myself, as well (I am playing for a wedding tomorrow with some new music) – that performing is really about an energetic exchange, in this case, via sound vibrations. When I can feel love for the music, the instrument, the setting, and/or the people for whom I am playing, then the listeners feel the love, if they are open to it.
The listeners are generally there for enjoyment. If I make a “mistake” and emphasize my discomfort through hesitation or scowling, then the audience feels bad along with me. But if I can just keep going, or even chuckle a bit, then they can enjoy the moment, too. We are sharing our humanity, and the live audience usually appreciates perceiving the live performer’s humanity as well, in whatever -preferably joyful – way that it unfolds.