lisa-matthews

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Wire harp blades-adding to my harp? #77920
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    Rachael can you suggest any stores to get wire harp strings for a wire strung harp? Thanks!

    in reply to: Advice on mid size lever harp – Update #68086
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    Hi Frank, I’m so sorry it didn’t work out. Lisa

    in reply to: Harpsicles? Paraguayan harps? I need help! #68944
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    How different is the tension between your Grand Harpsicle and your Ravenna 26? Which do you prefer in terms of sound and playability? THanks!

    in reply to: Researching Angular harps #76003
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    These groups are wonderful, thank you! No luck with contacting either the harpist or Campbell harps I’m afraid. We did find a newly cut 4 ft log while riding trails that I”m going to put back to season. I found some really informative videos on the arched harp at least. Ready to go if we can just find a huge piece of seasoned wood now!

    in reply to: Researching Angular harps #76001
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    Hi Paul, Thanks!

    I have emailed Campbell harps and am really hoping to hear from them. On a side note I found two videos by Peter Pringle playing a reproduction Egyptian harp that were quite enjoyable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvDrl_zOQg8&feature=share&list=UUpsB_sWPlRrmTV-6sWm23zg

    I’ve managed to sketch out a pattern that seems to conform to the shape from the side view. I’m trying to figure out the strings. In the photos and illustrations that top strings appear closer together and then seem to spread out a bit as they go down the sound board rib (am I calling it the right name?). The strings appear to be evenly spaced though on the projecting rod. I’m unsure if the amount of tension would necessitate a larger or smaller placement?

    I’ve just recently found out about the Historic Harp Society but haven’t looked too closely. I’ll go take a new look at them. I’m not in an area well populated by harpists/harpers:>. I did make it to the Southeastern Harp Weekend though and greatly enjoyed learning about the modern Konghou!

    in reply to: Advice on mid size lever harp – Update #68083
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    I ruined my hands with my much loved Salvi Heather in my teens. 18 years after giving up my life’s ambition to be a music therapist I’m taking baby steps back into the harp world and relearning how to play for enjoyment. Since my teens I have torn my shoulder laterally down to the waist at least twice and have inflamed the rotator cuffs as well (and 6 concussions, fractured hip, torn groin, numerous sprains, tendonitis and carpel tunnel, aka I know pain:>). Recently I had the opportunity to play a number of harps at the Southeast Harp Weekend. There was a 26 string Lewis Creek therapy harp that literally brought tears of joy to my eyes. I sat and cried—my dh was quite worried when he found me crying at that poor man’s booth. It’s literally the first harp I’ve touched in 20 years that I felt absolutely no pain to hold and play. It was the lightest of his harps yet had a good, projecting voice. The maker has a larger harp that can have that type of string tension as well. If you find the harps to your taste it might be an option you could work with. I was testing 26 and 34 string harps that day.

    in reply to: What factors affect string tension? #68073
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    Thank you William. That really lays it out in a great way. I appreciate your explanation:> Lisa

    in reply to: Which low end harp is more tolerable? #68034
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    Jennifer, I’m very curious about those. I keep hoping to see one in person and even try one. I’ve found some delightful videos of amazingly skilled players with those harps on youtube!

    in reply to: Which low end harp is more tolerable? #68032
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    That’s definitely a possibility for me. I just purchased a Learn the Harp Vol 1 book for my child and he’s jumped right in. I can make a good case for getting a bigger harp for myself. The issue then would just be saving up longer and finding a larger harp with string tension that I can handle. I spent about 5 years wearing braces due to RSI injuries so I don’t want to repeat that. Setting the harp aside and my dreams of becoming a music therapist was one of the hardest things I faced when I was younger (perhaps I was sheltered). I want to get back in for the long haul and work with my limitations. If I can find a way to do that I can sneak in bits and bites of playing for others (who have patience and tolerance of my playing:> You know, the partially deaf:>).

    in reply to: Which low end harp is more tolerable? #68029
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    That’s a great idea:>. Am I right in thinking that a used harp will be a bit fuller in its sound? Is it correct to think that harps have a “breaking in” period where their sound gets richer with use?

    in reply to: Which low end harp is more tolerable? #68026
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    I’m really looking forward to the forum transfer. I believe I found this site the day before the old forums disappeared so I only got a brief glance at whats in it. I did try a Ravenna this weekend but found the string tension to be a bit more then I can currently handle. I’m coming back after most of an 18 year hiatus. Stopped playing in my teens due to RSI issues. I’m hoping though that if I can work up to playing in larger chunks or more times a day I’ll slowly build up the endurance and strength for a harp with that level of tension. I haven’t seen the Smartwood but will go look it up. Thanks!

    in reply to: Which low end harp is more tolerable? #68025
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

    Hi Ben:> I just had my first expousure to a wire strung harp this past weekend and really loved it. Thank you for your run down on the Harpsicle!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)