kryptoleadonium

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Changing string on older Triplett #542925
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    Just got a nice note from Debbie Triplett. If I’d watched the video all the way through, I’d have seen that it does show how to replace the string with a pin whose hole is next to the harp. Oops…

    in reply to: Changing string on older Triplett #542581
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    That seems a LITTLE extreme, but thanks for the suggestion. I shot Triplett a note. It bugs me that I can’t seem to figure out how it works just by looking at it.

    in reply to: Humidifiers for harps? #499505
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    My question is more about humidification. The humidity here in Colorado can’t decide what it wants to do. I run an evaporative humidifier all winter, setting a bowl of water at the foot of the harp when not at home (it’s the thought that counts.) My analog hygrometer has fluctuated over the past few days,just barely over the line into “comfort zone,” and the digital one says 22%. 26% is about as high as that one ever reads, even when inside the cello case with an Oasis humidifier.

    Not sure what to do, especially with snow forecast. I’ve been told not to allow large swings in humidity. Go back to running the humidifier? Put out more bowls of water?

    in reply to: Tuning pin wrapping #474275
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    >> You can unwind it, pull it taut through the hole, and wind it up again. You may need >>to do it more than once over several days.

    Huh. I wouldn’t have thought to do that.

    >>Always avoid having the string wound up against the neck because it will act as a force >>pulling the tuning pin tighter into the neck

    I hadn’t thought of that, either, but figured that the more wraps there are, the more downward force there is on the pin.

    in reply to: Merlin R-Harps? Other recommendations? #344327
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    I just bought a used Merlin and need info for an insurance appraisal. Anyone have Rick Rubarth’s contact info? Seems the seller bought it directly from him.

    in reply to: harp on vacation #303161
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    I’m going on vacation in a few days. My cheap hydrometer shows above-average humidity and I’ve noticed that the wires have been going sharp. Should I loosen them a little before I leave?

    in reply to: Arpeggio studies and inversions #252857
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    Until I started with the pedal harp, I wouldn’t have imagined how much of a difference in sound there was among the keys. Even C major is missing a little something.

    I once wrote an arrangement for chorus and harp and started it in Ab minor, not just for the perversity of 7 flats but because I at least knew that all the strings would be at maximum length. “Look at all those flats!” singers said–as if it mattered to voices. It sure does with violins and the like, so thanks awfully, Signor Puccini, for writing almost every aria in Gb.

    in reply to: Arpeggio studies and inversions #252784
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    Got it. C major, eh? I thought they retired that key after it was apotheosed by MOZART.

    in reply to: Arpeggio studies and inversions #252757
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    I have a pedal harp, but was wondering whether there was any reason to get the lever version instead. Can’t think of one, but what do I know?

    in reply to: Arpeggio studies and inversions #252754
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    T’anks. One question: Any reason to prefer the lever version?

    in reply to: Arpeggio studies and inversions #252748
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    Thanks for the reply. My localish music store has them.

    in reply to: Hammered dulcimers #252415
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    So I’ve read. I haven’t even decided whether I want to pursue the HD and already the mission creep has started…Someone listed his used Masterworks Ultralight (it looks like) on Craig’s List: $1500. That’s the price of a new one, and while I’m not in a hurry to spend that much, it’s not out of the question. The real question is: how well do HDs age? I believe his is 20 years old.

    in reply to: Hammered dulcimers #252398
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    Just saw Songbird on dickinsondulcimer.com. I rented a Russell Cook model from Denver Folklore and have been trying it out. I noticed that it’s in a way like a lever harp: good for sharp keys, but maybe not fully chromatic.

    in reply to: Hammered dulcimers #252364
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    The link works, thanks. I’ll see whether I can get some info on the make and model.

    in reply to: Hammered dulcimers #252282
    kryptoleadonium
    Participant

    Yeah, my Triplett harp has a long sustain…As for the Masterworks, I didn’t have anything to compare it against. Not sure I’d want a dry sound. Luckily, there’s no hurry, so I can check out alternatives.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)