jaydg

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Lever Harp Experiences #284591
    jaydg
    Participant

    Well, except that I didn’t experience any issues plucking the strings initially. It was repetition and finding ways that were ‘easier’, ie pulling hand towards finger not vv, that turned out to be the issues.

    Harp teachers?

    in reply to: Lever Harp Experiences #284564
    jaydg
    Participant

    I think it can be difficult to assess harps via video, as you’ve no idea what the recording set-up is like. And speakers change sound too.

    I would be wary of a ‘concert’ tension harp with a 6 year old. I started with a Camac Korrigan, which has gut strings and concert tension – I love it, and it sounds beautiful.

    However, though I am far from 6, I have not-especially-strong hands because of arthritis in some hand joints. I learned some bad technique, and hurt myself, as a result of finding ways to pull resistant strings with my less-strong fingers. And of course am now having to unlearn those methods.

    I hope someone who teaches harp to little ones can chip in here.

    in reply to: Beatrice Schroeder Rose ‘The harp in the orchestra ‘ #284537
    jaydg
    Participant

    How does an out-of-print book get reprinted. This does seem important book, everything I read about playing harp in an orchestra refers to it.

    My copy seems to be wandering around US at the moment, and hasn’t set off across the Atlantic yet ….

    • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by jaydg. Reason: typos
    in reply to: Beatrice Schroeder Rose ‘The harp in the orchestra ‘ #284135
    jaydg
    Participant

    Thank you!

    I don’t seem to be able to buy it through their online shop, but I’ve emailed them. Fingers crossed….

    Thank you again, for your eagle eyes, much appreciated 👍🏽😊

    in reply to: Harp part – does anyone know where I can get a copy/see it? #283922
    jaydg
    Participant

    Hi @lucybishop, I’ve emailed you, as it’s a rather convoluted story.
    Best wishes,
    J

    in reply to: Inquiring #283815
    jaydg
    Participant

    No. Have you checked the size of the photo you’re attaching, it has to be quite small, 512 KB max.

    in reply to: Inquiring #283794
    jaydg
    Participant

    Can’t see any photo?

    in reply to: Smaller harpmobile #283466
    jaydg
    Participant

    Glad you like it – I have an older one, which I think is great. Yes, easy to load the pedal harp.

    in reply to: New string, pedals now all wrong #283448
    jaydg
    Participant

    Both great suggestions, will do that, thank you 👍🏽 Well, log now, long tags in future.

    We’ve had two bad storms, back to back, at the weekend, so maybe that’s it. And I did have two tiny strings break too!

    in reply to: New string, pedals now all wrong #283446
    jaydg
    Participant

    Cross-posting..

    I’ve ordered Carl’s book from a UK supplier, who advertised it as in stock, but in fact were waiting for a shipment from US that still hasn’t arrived, several weeks later. Maybe I should cancel the order and try to get one sent directly.

    in reply to: New string, pedals now all wrong #283445
    jaydg
    Participant

    So, I’ve straightened the adjustable nut, and altered taken some of the ‘rake’ out of the natural disc.

    It’s much better. Not right yet, but far more bearable.

    So I think what happened was:
    1. This D string was an old one, which was starting to separate by the discs, and lose its tuning. Was this why suddenly the discs could no longer move the string enough?
    2. I mistook the losing tuning as evidence it was a string I replaced the other day.
    3. I set out to solve the flat natural and sharp and couldn’t fix it – but I did move the nut and natural disc.
    4. In the end, I replaced the string, which is when I realised that it was, in fact, an old, dying one.
    5. Putting things back to how they had been, as spotted and advised by Charles – now with the new string – put things back closer to normal.

    I’ll now let the new string settle down before I attempt to improve the disc regulation.

    in reply to: New string, pedals now all wrong #283443
    jaydg
    Participant

    Thanks Charles. I’ll straighten that nut up. The harp is 4 years old. It’s new to me, a couple of months ago. The soundboard is just beginning to bow up a bit.

    in reply to: New string, pedals now all wrong #283442
    jaydg
    Participant

    Ok, now it’s really weird.

    It wasn’t that string I replaced at all – I think I just made that assumption, because the string kept losing pitch.

    I found this out because in desperation I thought – maybe there was something wrong with that string, I’ll replace it. When I came to it, it wasn’t my harp knot on the end.

    Anyway, I have now replaced it with a new string (the old one WAS about to go), but the problem remains.

    And now I don’t even have a reason why it’s gone funny in the first place. I haven’t moved the harp recently, the other Ds are fine….???

    in reply to: New string, pedals now all wrong #283438
    jaydg
    Participant

    Hi Charles, thanks for looking at it for me, here’s the extra info:

    The harp is a Pilgrim Malvern (well regarded British makers). 47 strings, extended soundboard, smaller than a full concert grand.
    I replaced the gut string with the same brand gut – Bow Brand light gut.
    When the string is in tune with the pedal in flat, the natural and the sharp pedals are both about 30 cents flat.

    Here are the photos of the disc area. The pin block is deliberately slanted, in an effort to make the discs take up more string. But even with it vertical, I had the same issue.

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jaydg
    Participant

    Hi Balfour,
    Yes it’s one setting for the first gliss and different for the second.

    The composer was a good pianist. She’s one of the composer’s not much known because she had to go into hiding from the Nazis, so she may not have had chance to get much feedback from players.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)