Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Gretchen Cover
MemberWhile we are on the subject, be careful about mixing Premier strings with Bow. You could get away with perhaps replacing the top octaves or maybe lower ones. In other words, replacing a section of strings might work. It also depends on how picky you are. I will add that Bow strings sounded so dead at six months, I had to replace them. Time will tell with the Premier. I had always used Vanderbilt gut until they stopped carrying their strings about 4-5 years ago. Many harpists used them. As said before, I am sorry that Bow is having problems, but I cannot let it become my problem, either.
As far as breakage, 3 1st octave Premier strings broken since replacing the strings late November and late December.
Gretchen Cover
MemberHi Balfour, I did see this thread but I had already made my comments on another one. The strings will make your Cb sound soooo much better🎶
Gretchen Cover
MemberPS/ Charles, I totally disagree with you that the tone is due to regulation and tuning. I am making a recording now and the sound of the Premier was so much better that my guitar partner and I re-recorded a 12 minute piece. And, you should not expect the first and second octave strings to break every month, especially for a amateur or casual harpist. Better strings may cost a little more upfront, but without the breakage, they become cost effective.
Gretchen Cover
MemberYou won’t have buzzing using gut strings for string anchors. I bend them as Charles suggests. I have used this method since the 1970’s and never had a problem. John, just make sure none of the string anchors or strings touch each other. Check the inside of your harp before you wind up the string to make sure nothing went wrong:) You should keep a set of extra strings or at least the first 2 octaves. I keep a spare set and then use that set when I change the strings. As Charles said, with the first couple octaves you will get two or three strings out of each gut string.
Gretchen Cover
MemberJohn,
Congratulations on your new harp. I would suggest you contact LH and ask them some of the above questions. In particular, ask about the best way to break in your new harp. When I bought my Salvi, it was suggested to play the upper octave hard for a week, then move down the octaves. The more you play, the faster the harp will break in. You would be wise to take some lessons, even on Skype, to learn to use the pedals correctly. That is not something easily self-taught.
It is common for strings to break when a harp is new. You should always replace a broken string as soon as possible. I would not worry about that but if in a few months the strings still break, I would spend the money on Premier strings. I put them on my harps in November and December and have had only 3 broken strings in the first octave. The sound is superior to Bow Brand, too. I use only gut strings. Personal preference if you want to use nylon in the upper octaves. You will figure out what works best for you. Make sure you keep your harp in tune, especially while it is breaking in.
I use 4th and 5th gut as string anchors. I suggest you buy an ergonomic tuning key. If you are going to take your harp out of the house, leave a spare tuning key in your car.
Gretchen Cover
MemberMen are never wrong…….
Gretchen Cover
MemberThe Peterson app for smartphones/tablets has a “sweetener” add-on for $5.99 designed specifically for harp tuning. I use the Peterson iStroboSoft app on my iPhone. It works very well on the phone and is all right, but not as accurate, on my iPad.
Gretchen Cover
MemberI would like to point out an excellent transcription by harpist Chantal Mathieu is available from Harpe Budin in France. All the ornamentation is carefully written out. It is in the correct order of adagio, allegro, allegro.
To hear this go to Youtube and type in: CPE Bach Sonata for harp Sarah Shemesh. The other movements are there, too, as separate clips.
Gretchen Cover
MemberI listened to the harpists listed above. Amazing what they can do with a small harp! BTW, Harp’s North West has a month long teaching video series on youtube to learn “Tracey’s Wriggly Jig.” Go to youtube and type in: Newvember Challenge – Teaching Videos. You will have something to play around the campfire.
Gretchen Cover
MemberBalfour, your “sweet” harp taught Carl’s harp potty talk. I know where the harp learned it, too. (Read this month’s Harp Column “strange but true”)
Gretchen Cover
MemberJodi, if you have not learned Little Fountain by Samuel Pratt, put that at the top of your list. It’s a great show-off piece (also check the two threads about show-off pieces) and is fantastic for technique and finger strengthening/flexibility due to the downward arpeggios.
Gretchen Cover
MemberOk, here is are two good technique and nice to listen suggestions: Ambiance by Frank Voltz and Abby’s Song also by Voltz. I know you said other composers but these are two worthwhile pieces to learn and take some work to play well.
Check out pieces by Barbara Semmann.
Gretchen Cover
MemberJodie, I suggest you go to http://www.harpconnection.com or http://www.folkharp.com and see for yourself what you would like to learn. These sites and others show the first page or more of the music. You seem to know what you want as far as playing level is concerned.
Addendum: For the most part, I think a full sample page shows the difficulty of a piece. A number of more advanced pieces will show more pages. I am sure your teacher has suggestions to push a highly motivated student like you.
Gretchen Cover
MemberSee my post at the top. Carl Swanson replied so check with Howard Bryan.
-
AuthorPosts