goatberryfarm2010

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Double String Debate #213434
    goatberryfarm2010
    Participant

    You might speak with Carolyn Deal at Southeasternharp.com. She used to play 2 harps in concert, together, but moved to the Stoney-End Lorraine due to nerve damage. However, she truly loves it & has become an “evangelist” for double strung. Even before speaking with her, I was convinced I wanted a DS to learn on. I’ve changed my mind, however, about the model. Instead of a lap harp, i.e. the Brittany, I’ve out in an order for a Lorraine with full levers, both sides.

    in reply to: Hello everybody! #213030
    goatberryfarm2010
    Participant

    Dear Mr Sara: I loved your song. It was beautiful & expressive. You obviously love it.
    I’m new here & know nothing of your situation, but many harpist are working with such interesting instruments like hang drums. If you could find someone to work with, it may get you going, again. Additionally, there’s a revival of 40s & 50s jazz & swing. Perhaps with a cello?
    Good fortune to you & a happier New Year. Jennifer

    in reply to: Stoney End Even Song #212604
    goatberryfarm2010
    Participant

    Thank you so much. I prefer the look of dark wood, as well, but didn’t want it too crisp.
    Also, on YouTube, there’s an amstevick playing a double strung Brittany. If she’s around, could she tell me if that was the one she had trouble with? I need to know before plopping down the money. For me, $2000 is a large amount of money. We’re not quite into retirement, but Hubster has begun cutting back on the most onerous of the responsibilities…
    I’m curious about 22 vs 26 strings. Is it possible to have the shorter strings exchanged for a couple more of the warmer tones/lower strings?
    Do people actually PLAY the tiny higher notes? My husband’s ears & my own, are at issue. If my father were alive, I’d never be able to play any of the higher notes; he got Dengue’ fever in WWII, in the Pacific.

    in reply to: A beginner in harp and double-strung harps #212326
    goatberryfarm2010
    Participant

    This is an exciting topic for mme, as a beginner. I decided, immediately, on the harp & manufacturer & I truly believe the fascinating possibilities that are inherent in having two sets of strings that may be tuned differently, if one prefers, is the biggest advantage.
    When i order my harp from Stoney End, I’ll emphasize that I’m NOT a soprano & prefer a harp that has a rounder, warmer tone for singing alto/second soprano.
    Could someone recommend music theory classes? books or online (both would be good)
    I want to increase my knowledge base & get the theory before I’m able to get the harp.
    Additionally, what do older harpists do who have arthritis? What adaptations have you found helpful?

    in reply to: Stoney End Even Song #212325
    goatberryfarm2010
    Participant

    I plan to buy a Stoney End Brittany double strung harp. I’ve only seen it/heard it on YouTube, but just KNEW it was what I wanted; it sang to my soul.
    It’s light & portable, very important; I’m wondering if anyone had the cherry finish?
    Is supposed to be warmer in tone.
    Jenn

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)