duckspeaks

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: How does one learn to play by ear? #190188
    duckspeaks
    Participant

    Dear Clinton, I am adult as well, old in fact, when I started. I realise mostly to play what u like one has to rearrange it for lever harp anyway and I am too lazy to write music down and so I play by ear and heart ad well. I learnt harmony from the guitar and via poverty of not being able to buy printed when young and so I had to steal music my ear.

    I would suggest trying to get hold of “folk songs” of the 60s, just a few, to experience the basic harmony. Today and Monday morning and Try to remember are good. Study the cord structure. then hop to a web site on harmony to understand I, II, III ,IV, V, VI & VII and you will be induct
    ed.

    then go to the library or web and inyensively study a short section of the score of your classical music. this may he a longer project.

    The physical demands of harping is mich to handle already. not having to read music is one way to help the initial stretch of the journey

    in reply to: Salvi, L&H, Camac, R-harp, Sandpiper, Webster harp? #189818
    duckspeaks
    Participant

    Dear Califa, for the Mademoiselle u can do 2 changes.

    1 use gut for C, B and A. A is a bit marginal and this needs redrilling of holes for lever screws.

    2 use slightly thicker bass strings. this fixed what I didn’t like.

    cheers

    in reply to: trying to buy a nice lap/travel harp #189785
    duckspeaks
    Participant

    If you are used to higher tension and wider spacing, assuming no desire to change on your part, pls take look at Camac Bardic 22 and 27. I would guess you may find dusty strings too bright, narrow and loose. The pitch is also less stable compared to your larger one. Bardic is wider, tighter and with more stable pitch (when the finger leaves the string the note won’t sway too much). the 27 is reasonable if you want it smallish. I wanted it smalleR and went with the 22. OR would u consider a 30 something string one which is just marginals smaller than yours?

    in reply to: Bloodstain in gut strings. Help! #189784
    duckspeaks
    Participant

    Thank you Femke and Susan. After a few days there seems to be no secondary damage like stains as I have feared. I now always check my hands before playing.

    Cheers

    in reply to: "Harper" or "Harpist" does it matter? #189643
    duckspeaks
    Participant

    Or harpophiles, like audiophiles?
    I think we are special enough as a category to earn the “phile” suffix, there being enough attachment and harpo-philia involved

    in reply to: Hello! New Harpist #189630
    duckspeaks
    Participant

    Hello and welcome!

    I am a boy (old). I loved the instrument since childhood but thought that only girls could do it. I thought of marrying a harpist one day (when I was a kid) but it didn’t work out. Then I dabbled with folk and then classical guitar and found myself playing at the middle of the string the string to emulate the harp sound. then finally I decided to cut my finger nails (big move for a guitarist) and go with my childhood dream. 13 moths and going well. Had a Dusty 34 string. Loved it but in the end preferred more sonorous and higher tension harps for tonal stability. Got small hands but it is less an advantage in a harp. that’s my harp self.

    in reply to: Lever concert harp with high tension #189448
    duckspeaks
    Participant

    Hello Lili,

    I like high tension lever harps (to the extent that I actually and really hate low tension harps). I love them for the intonation stability and power of the sound. Tried some medium tension harps and unhappy because the note sways too much as your finger leaves each string. This alone is bad enough and if the harp happens to be bright (very often so for lower tension harps), it screams at you. I believe sweetness and tonal stability are strongly related.

    Regards

    in reply to: Newbie saying hello! (A boy!!) #189432
    duckspeaks
    Participant

    Dear Balfour and community,

    I took up the instrument at the tender age of 50 last year. always wanted to but didn’t realise boys can do it as well. I cut my fingernails (classical guitar) but no regret. Started with a Crescendo now Mademoiselle. I play by ear and recognise that much tweaks to the original music is often required. I dislike harps with low tension because I treasure stability of tone. I know this is a lifetime hobby.

    Ducks are truly amazing. I spend much time watching them!

    This forum is a lovely place!

    regards,
    Duckspeaks

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)