catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp Diseases #107389
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Please teach it to me. My antihistamine is not working. Sniff.

    in reply to: Harp Diseases #107383
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Carl, what a great idea! I’d buy it!

    in reply to: Need recommendations for an amplifier #148199
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I love my Crate Limo (and the Peavy solo amp before that). “Treble” and “bass” make sense to me, but can someone please explain what “gain” and “shape” mean?

    in reply to: Pedal Harp HELP #107314
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Remember that all the answers you’ll get here are strictly personal opinions. I used to be prejudiced toward one brand when I was young (and based on my teacher’s prejudice, too), but hope I’ve gotten past that in 30+ years.

    All the companies you mentioned make fine instruments as far as quality and construction. Little details may differ between any company’s high-end and low-end products, but it’s usually superficial stuff like finish.

    Given that no two harps are exactly the same (even the same model built at the same time–just like people), you have to decide what kind of sound you want and how much you’re willing to pay (new, used?).

    I have never heard that any one brand is more or less affected by weather than any other. All harps are affected by weather. Not usually a problem if you take good care of it.

    If weight is a factor, you can compare that on the companies’ websites. Most instrument problems I’ve heard of usually occur after many years of use and are not unexpected. For the occasional early problem, you have the warranty.

    I’ve played and heard a lot of harps and read reams about them, and I’ve never, ever heard that one brand is “better” overall than another. Within the parameters any buyer decides are most important to him or her, it’s all subjective.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145311
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I used to consider hearses when I was young and thought it would be cool, especially if it were painted a cheerful color. But their distinctive styling can’t hide what they are, and you can usually only get one that’s used and pretty worn out. They get terrible gas milage. More important, would you get complaints from clients (especially brides) whose guests see a hearse parked outside the church or other venue? You’d be labeled as the harpist who drives a hearse and some would not hire or refer you based on that.

    in reply to: Getting a style 100 #73029
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I played one within the last year for another harpist who was interested in buying it but was too far away to come try it herself. Another harpist friend and I thought it was one of the best harps we’d ever heard and both of us would have loved to own it.

    in reply to: Ouch! Replaced by a Synthesizer? #149236
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    True. I played “A Little Night Music” some years ago and never had such fun! We wished it would run for months but it was a limited engagement. One of the best show harp parts ever. Sondheim is a genius.

    in reply to: Ouch! Replaced by a Synthesizer? #149228
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    That’s even more insidious than previously mentioned.

    I just found out the show my husband’s playing this week originally had a harp part (for which I would have been hired), but the rental now includes a synth. part with–you guessed it–the harp part incorporated into that. The show’s “Candide” by Bernstein.

    in reply to: Cautionary Tale – Broken Tuning Pin #73207
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    So sorry that happened, Martin. A few years ago a couple harpists in my area had tuning pins that were breaking when they tuned (the same one more than once). These were on bass wires. It turned out they were putting on the wrong gauge wire (too thick), not their mistake but because the wrong wire was in the package. That is probably not what happened to your harp but that was the first time we’d heard of that.

    in reply to: harp covers #73261
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I think the Salvi ones are burgundy and the Camac ones are black. Then there is Four Seasons where you can order the color you want.

    in reply to: Warming up . . . the harp? #107522
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Harps need a little time to acclimate to new temperature and humidity level after moving to a new place before you tune it, but at home, I don’t think it needs “warming up,” like my dad’s car in the winter when I was a child. After you’ve warmed up, your tone perhaps improves because you’re more relaxed?

    in reply to: Swan Lake question #149408
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Thanks, all. The concert was last night and went well. Now I want to see the ballet. I did find this, though:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wWmv-thrkg

    in reply to: Saint-Saëns Oratorio de Noël #149371
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Be aware, too, that although it’s scored for orchestra, many places will use just organ, harp and percussion to save money, or they may be very tight for space. Sometimes they’ll add a string quartet. One time when I did it and they had only organ, harp and percussion, I was afraid I’d have to carry the whole thing by myself because the power went out and the organ wouldn’t work. Fortunately it came back on just before the service!

    in reply to: Saint-Saëns Oratorio de Noël #149369
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    The harp plays on only three movements: 5, 7 & 9. Nine is very easy, you just have to count carefully until you come in. Some say 7 is the most difficult because of the constant arpeggios and page turns, but I found it helps to copy the pages and tape them together like an accordion so you can grab the corner quickly. The physical momentum of the figures helps keep you going and it’s beautiful and fun to play.
    For me (maybe because I have small hands–I don’t know), the most difficult is no. 5 because the chords jump around and some choir directors like to take it too fast because their singers don’t have enough breath support. The tempo is marked in the music and is reasonable. If they try to rush you, stand up for yourself. If necessary, take a metronome with you to rehearsal so you can make your point. I wish I had last time I played it.
    There’s an excellent CD you should get if you don’t have a recording of this piece: get the Dresdner Philharmonie with Martin Flamig conducting; it’s on Capriccio Digital, a 1987 recording. You can really hear the harp.

    http://www.amazon.de/Weihnachtsoratorium-Martin-Flaemig/dp/B000025ZLP

    in reply to: INAUDIBLE HARP PARTS #145584
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Hi, Ian, we can all relate to your frustration about that. If it happens again and you can’t find a local harpist who has the part you need, give a shout-out on this website. I have found other harpists to be incredibly helpful in sharing parts and markings in an emergency. We’ve all been there.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 584 total)