barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #151994
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Thanks, Carl.

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #151990
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    It is commonly accepted in most schools of harp playing that the right wrist can touch the soundboard but the left arm should not, Maria. That’s pretty usual.

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #151988
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Perhaps it was pushed a bit in the editing, Carl. That would be very common during that period and would account for the jumpiness of some of her movements.

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #151976
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Really interesting, Carl, thanks. But you might want to ask your web guy to go back and fix the information paragraph, which says things like:

    “Original a one movie shorts series about instruments of the orchestra. It rain before the movie.”

    in reply to: Lyon & Healy delivery question #75534
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Since there seems to be some worry here about the boxes, I just want to say that a box with foam is a MUCH better way to ship a harp than the old harp trunks were.

    When I bought my Style 11, which was old enough to have its own trunk, I left the trunk with the previous owner, since I’d much rather have it boxed and foamed if I ever have to ship it anywhere.

    in reply to: Lyon & Healy delivery question #75528
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Good luck, Sharon!

    In the past it was sometimes possible to cajole delivery folks into waiting around while you unpacked the item, but these days mostly the poor guys are doing four or five routes instead of one and they’re even more under the gun to stay on schedule.

    Enjoy your new harp.

    in reply to: Lyon & Healy delivery question #75526
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The delivery people will be whoever is the local affiliate of the truck line L&H uses. They will not unpack your harp, and they will be a big hurry to get that 500 gallon aquarium delivered to the next customer. At least inspect the box for any visible damage. It would be nice if you could get them to stay while you unbox the harp, but the odds of this happening are very small in most locations.

    in reply to: What are sharpening levers? #161093
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >what exactly are sharpening levers?

    Well, I would say that is asking what they are for, myself, Tacye.

    in reply to: ? for Barbara #109891
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I wouldn’t describe anything in Classics 1 as “advanced,” but at the time the book was published, I guess it was kind of advanced, at least for levers, compared to a lot of what was out there, and given that a lot of places rate “advanced” for lever harp as roughly equivalent to “three months playing experience” for pedal harp.

    The notes are very easy as long as you’re comfortable with four note chords, but if you haven’t yet moved any levers while playing, I guess the levers could be considered a bit more advanced. I’d rate that arrangement as lower intermediate, myself.

    Kolacny’s does carry the book, so hopefully you can take a look and decide for yourself.

    in reply to: What are sharpening levers? #161091
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    They are the lyon & healy brand name levers. The point being that you would still know what they were *for.*

    in reply to: What are sharpening levers? #161088
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Unless of course, English is not the native language.

    in reply to: What are sharpening levers? #161087
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    But who couldn’t figure that out, Tacye? I’ve never met anyone who wouldn’t figure out that sharping lever, sharpening lever, lever, blade, wire loop lever, semitone lever, performance lever, camac lever, box lever, etc. all serve the same purpose, if it in somewhat different ways.

    in reply to: ? for Barbara #109889
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    It’s going to be pieces for the people who’ve been playing a while and are ready for something with a little more meat on it–in other words, some of them are pretty demanding. It will include some well known pedal harp literature and a couple of popular classical pieces that were too difficult to go into the Classics on Request books.

    I’d rather not say exactly what yet, partly because I really haven’t completely decided–there are a couple of pieces that are under copyright that I’d like to include if I can get permission. One is quite long so if I can’t get the rights I may include a couple of shorter pieces in its place.

    in reply to: ? for Barbara #109887
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hi, Kay. Well, it’s mostly done, but I’m still negotiating for the rights to one of the pieces. Thanks for asking.

    in reply to: What are sharpening levers? #161085
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I’ve been wondering about the same thing, Audrey. I’ve seen plenty of pedal harpists who scorn and flout levers, but never one who didn’t know what they are, so I’m curious, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 1,501 total)