barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Any one know of music for Yue Liange Dai Bia Wo De Xin? #147398
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oh, and sorry, I don’t have the sheet music, but I think there’s an English language version sung by someone fairly well known (maybe Susan Boyle?). Can’t remember the English title, though.

    in reply to: Any one know of music for Yue Liange Dai Bia Wo De Xin? #147397
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I don’t know if it will help any, but it’s usually written in English as

    Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xin

    rather than Yue Liange Dai Bia Wo De Xin. You might try googling for that instead.

    in reply to: Tuners #71485
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hi, Pat. Well, if you don’t want the phone part, there’s always the ipod or the ipad. I just have a dumb phone and those.

    in reply to: effect of economy on harp business #147581
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yeah, I was really noticing it at a recent wedding. The DJ was a very popular one who always used to pull up with his fancy trailer covered with ads. Now he just pops open the trunk of his Toyota to get his gear out instead. 🙂

    in reply to: effect of economy on harp business #147579
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hi, Jerusha.

    don’t DJ’s have to move a lot of equipment– big amplifiers, mixers, and the like-

    Nope, they use an ipad like everyone else. They need speakers and a mic but the days of a truckload of equipment and milk crates full of CDs are done. Actually I would say that in my area most guitarists (who are more likely to use old-fashioned mixing boards) carry more junk around that the DJs do.

    in reply to: gig for non- profit organization #147334
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oh, I wasn’t disagreeing with anything you said, Andy B. It’s just that the people arranging these events often aren’t aware that we can’t even get a deduction out of it the way would if we gave them the same amount in cash instead.

    in reply to: gig for non- profit organization #147332
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Sorry, hit Post too soon. The point being that we can’t deduct what we do, but the caterer can.

    in reply to: gig for non- profit organization #147331
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Another thing I’d like to point out about “the caterer donated the food”. Yes, and got a whacking big tax deduction for it, too. You can deduct physical donations but not services. And many (not all, but more than a few) caterers would just list this out as something like “donated 500 shepherd’s purses @ $8 each” and somehow the cost of their servers and delivery and all just happened to creep in there, unbeknownst to them. Or, if they’re more honest, they donate the food and charge for the service.

    in reply to: gig for non- profit organization #147324
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, I’d agree with Jessica here. I do know people who’ve used voluntary playing to great effect, but the trick is only to do it for organizations where you’re a member. Otherwise, you just create bad feeling when the word gets out that you’re available for nothing and you play for free for organization A and then turn down Organization B.

    Jerusha, I think you did the right thing, too.

    in reply to: Tuners #71479
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Do you have a smartphone or ipad? There are plenty of apps now and it saves having to carry a separate device. For iOS I like cleartune and Peterson’s iStrobosoft, and I would guess there must be similar options for android phones.

    in reply to: L&H Style 12? #71514
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, the old ones are very charming, but I’m quite sure that buried somewhere in the promo materials for the reissue was an explanation that they could offer at that price because it wasn’t really going to be carved.

    in reply to: L&H Style 12? #71510
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I believe that the “carvings” were plastic or some kind of resin composite then, though, weren’t they? I seem to remember that being one reason I didn’t want one.

    in reply to: Harp Owner/Teacher near Hamilton, MT #83154
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    For a Scottish festival, I’d try the Big Sky Chapter of the folk harp society:

    President: Bonnie Puliam

    pulliam@blackfoot.net

    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    As long as you’re going down to Seattle, you might as well zip on over to Puyallup and see what The Enchanted Harp has in stock, too.

    in reply to: transcribing the harp for classical-period music #147640
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oops, I somehow missed seeing your reply. Thanks for clarifying that, Paul. But I think you could say that about probably 90% of composers who don’t play the harp, can’t you? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 1,501 total)