balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Music stands by Salvi? #362471
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    If that link won’t work for you, just type in mister standman music stands, and I think you can get to his website. I hope this helps.

    in reply to: Music stands by Salvi? #362467
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I did a quick search, and the usual harp stores do not seem to be carrying those Salvi stands anymore! (at least here in the USA!) However, I did find an independent builder who makes gorgeous music stands and I will try to post the link here: http://www.misterstandman.com/tulipharp.htm

    in reply to: new Marcel Tournier publication! #362460
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks for making this wonderful piece available now, and for the video of the great Catherine Michel playing the Tournier! The Salvi Minerva sounds fabulous in her hands!

    in reply to: Salvi Apollo or Aurora? #359473
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    So glad to hear this, Steph! We are so happy for you. Wishing you many pleasurable years to enjoy your Diana!

    in reply to: Inspecting a harp, need feedback. #357754
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Mike, did you notice the “Coda” on that link that Paul posted? Here it is:
    If you are new to the harp, don’t buy a used one without having someone look at it – a harp technician or even a teacher. If you locate a harp some distance away and don’t know whom to call, email Harp Spectrum and we’ll look in our harp directories for a teacher or player in that locale.

    in reply to: Inspecting a harp, need feedback. #357752
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Paul, thanks so much for that link to Harp Spectrum! I even found a link on that to the actual Salvi guide, which has plenty of helpful information.
    Have a great day,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Which lever harp to buy #357750
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    The more padding, the better! I can’t tell you how many times my deluxe transport covers have saved my harps from significant damage over the years.

    in reply to: Inspecting a harp, need feedback. #356879
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I can recommend Carl Swanson’s excellent book “A Guide for Harpists”–care, maintenance and repair of the pedal harp. Part 2 (#21, p. 42) is all about “old and used harps: assessing their condition.”

    in reply to: Inspecting a harp, need feedback. #356271
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Mike, are you able to look at this harp yourself, or is it something you are considering ordering and having it shipped to you?

    in reply to: Wedding gig rates in the U.S. and abroad #356270
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I say “go for it, Sophie!” I am retired and no longer doing weddings now, but I think $1000 is a great place to start, considering all the trouble weddings are. That amount would not buy one bridesmaid’s dress or a wedding cake! Get real, people! Live musicians are a luxury, and we deserve fair pay for what we do.

    in reply to: Inspecting a harp, need feedback. #355947
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Mike, thanks for the further updating. The next best thing to a harp tech looking at this harp would be a good harpist to look it over and play it. Since you would be buying it for your daughter, does she have a harp teacher who could look at this harp for you? I am in western North Carolina west of Asheville, and if you don’t mind saying what general area you live in, perhaps I or someone else on these forums could help you find someone to look at the harp. I have done plenty of this sort of thing regarding harps and pianos during my long career in music, and other professionals are willing to do it, too.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Inspecting a harp, need feedback. #355662
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Mike, I would be cautious about buying this harp. There seems to be a fair amount of corrosion on the metal, plus the wood-finish crazing. Has the harp been in a damp environment? Also, what brand is it? It probably needs restringing and regulating, at the very least, in the neighborhood of $1000 or more. If you live anywhere near a harp tech, have him/her look this harp over before you buy it.

    Hope this helps.
    Balfour

    in reply to: Salvi Apollo or Aurora? #355545
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    So good to hear from you, Steph! Yes, the waiting is VERY HARD! My Atlantide Prestige (Angelica) and I are doing fine, as is my sweet wife, Carol Lynn–thanks for asking! I am thoroughly enjoying my New Nylgut NGH strings by Aquila in the top two octaves of Angelica. Only the top 0G has broken, since I restrung them around Dec. 24, 2023. They sound just like gut, only with a bit more sustain, which I love.

    Hope the cool weather comes soon so that you can get your Diana!

    Best wishes and harp hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Salvi Apollo or Aurora? #355347
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Steph, any news on that lovely Diana harp yet? Did you decide to go get her yourself? I wouldn’t be able to stand the waiting, so I would definitely have headed out to pick up my harp, ha, ha!

    in reply to: Heartland Harps #353102
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello Elayne,

    This message from Dave came along with the advertisement that I mentioned above about the Black Mountain Harp Gathering:
    “Here at Heartland Harps, we have been updating and retooling our operation in order to make things run more smoothly. It’s been a real challenge but we are seeing things starting to come together. Our new molds are getting closer to being finished and we are going to be able to get customer orders out in a much more timely manner!

    With that being said Heartland Harps is proud to share that we are currently getting ready to add two new models to the Heartland Harps line. We are adding a Double Strung Serenity and a Double Strung Legend. It just makes sense, since our carbon fiber harps already have the strength engineered into them to accommodate a second set of strings!! Oh, and we will be introducing both models at the Harp Gathering in NC!!!

    One of the things we are most proud of at Heartland Harps is how we have been able to provide a product that has improved the quality of life for so many that have, in the past, had challenges with more traditional harps. We would love to hear your stories so drop us an Email and let us know how Heartland Harps has improved your harping experience!

    Well, that’s all for now. We hope to see you at the Harp Gathering in Black Mountain, NC this September and until then…keep on tickling those strings!!

    All the best,

    Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 1,492 total)