balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Recommendations for hand crafter lever harps #374683
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Charles. I believe you are correct on all accounts, and I’m looking forward to seeing what Dylan has to say. Incidentally, when I mentioned the Musicmakers’ Epic harp (38 strings) I read about it again on their website. They advertise that it has concert harp spacing and high tension. Like I said, the tone is very pleasing in the videos, especially listening through headphones. For a 38 string harp, it isn’t too tall, and doesn’t weigh a lot, but it has a real booming bass. No doubt, the “cello-like” shape contributes to the beautiful, full tone.

    Have a great day, all my friends,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Recommendations for hand crafter lever harps #374645
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Good research, Gregg! Also, take a look at Musicmakers’ largest harp, the Epic. It has a very different visual design, but it might fit the bill for Dylan! It sounds wonderful in the videos.
    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Harp teaching question #374265
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Saul, glad to see your post here. Along with my performing career, I also taught music (harp, piano & organ) for 37 years before I retired from teaching in 2013. I now wonder if I ever “knew what I was doing,” ha, ha! I was successful at it and always kept plenty of students and a waiting list, but it was sometimes very difficult. I could not handle the pressure of it now that I am almost 70. I really admire folks who can still teach music at this age and older.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Can a Camac dust cover fit a Salvi? #373713
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Joselyn,

    I own a Camac Atlantide Prestige concert grand, and the full transport cover set, plus the dust cover. The dust cover is quite elegant, deep red velvet, and my “Angelica” looks wonderful in it, like a beautiful ballroom dress, ha, ha!

    However, the curve of the neck of a Camac is a little different than the curve of a Salvi. Camac shoulder ends are a bit lower, and the strings in the treble section fan out at the soundboard ends, to make playing up there more comfortable. So, it would depend on how well the cover fits on your Minerva, whether it would look “tailored” or misshapen on a Salvi. If you ordered the Camac dust cover, tried it on your Minerva, could you send it back if you didn’t like it?

    Wish I could be of more help, but I don’t own a Salvi or know anyone here who could let me try my cover on one.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Harp dollies on stairs with open risers. #373345
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Catherine, thanks for your reply. I’m glad to know this, too, in case I ever encounter those kinds of steps again. Wishing you all the best,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Can a Camac dust cover fit a Salvi? #373343
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Joselyn, you might like to contact Rhett Barnwell at the Atlanta Harp Center, GA, USA. He could answer this question, I’m sure!
    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Pedal setting for glissando #373341
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Perfect answer, Gregg, my friend! Dianne, enjoy playing the harp for your Christmas Cantata!
    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Harp dollies on stairs with open risers. #372964
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Pamela,

    How funny that you brought this up, since I encountered this very problem shortly before I retired! At one of my last Christmas concerts where I was using my Camac Atlantide Prestige, I had to take the harp up a flight of steps into the church chancel. Not knowing that the 6-wheeled harp dolly would have a problem, I attempted to take the harp up those steps, only to find that it was impossible because the wheels got stuck in the open step risers! In order for the wheels to turn and “climb the steps,” they have to push against the ordinary back of the step, which was missing. My sweet wife who always helps me move the harp said that we should just take the dolly off of the harp and carry the harp up those steps. That worked, since there were only 7 or 8 steps, but a concert pedal harp is heavy, as we all know!

    I don’t know if the 11″ wheels would have worked, but I would say definitely try it out before you purchase your home. I would heartily recommend the Camac Clio 44-string harp with extended soundboard. They are great semi-grand harps! I LOVE my Atlantide Prestige 47-string!

    Hope this helps. Wishing you all the best,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: new Marcel Tournier publication! #363314
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks for the additional information, Carl. That makes me appreciate Catherine’s and Emily’s wonderful harp playing all the more!
    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Inspecting a harp, need feedback. #363093
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Mike. Carl Swanson and Paul Knoke, both of whom often post here on these forums, are professional harp technicians. Maybe one of them can answer your questions and give you some good advice.

    in reply to: Salvi Arion vs Daphne EX #363090
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Steph, I forgot to compare the Daphne SE to the Daphne EX–sorry! The longer strings on the EX would give it a fuller, richer bass, but the middle and upper registers would probably sound pretty much the same on both models. Also, the SE weighs a little bit less, and is about four inches shorter, so the SE would fit in a smaller car. I owned a L&H 85 SG that was an outstanding harp, and indeed easier to move than my concert grand, so you might like that convenience. Hope you find THE harp that pleases you the most. Good luck!

    in reply to: Inspecting a harp, need feedback. #362979
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Mike, unless you are planning to become a harp technician, I would avoid this harp. I hope others weigh in here, since I feel “so alone” in telling you truthfully what I think.
    Have a great day!
    Balfour

    in reply to: Salvi Arion vs Daphne EX #362978
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I played a Daphne SE once at the Atlanta Harp Center that was exceptional. It shocked me, because I had been playing a lovely L&H 23 right beside the SE, and just thought I would try out the SE for kicks, ha, ha! I think the Daphne SE is basically the same size as the Arion, so it would just depend on which one pleased you more. Incidentally, that same day that I was playing harps in the AHC showroom, the BEST harp there was a L&H 30! I could not believe that it was better than the L&H 23!

    in reply to: Salvi Arion vs Daphne EX #362768
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Steph!

    I have played models of both harps that you mention. I think that the full concert-size Daphne EX would be the better of the two, in my humble opinion! It would definitely also be more like your new Diana, to make going from one harp to the other more comfortable.

    I only own one pedal harp and one lever harp now, in retirement. They are each very special to me, unequaled by any other harps I have ever had the pleasure of playing. It felt like it took most of my life to arrive at this point, but I LOVE it!

    Happy harp hunting again!
    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    in reply to: Inspecting a harp, need feedback. #362765
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Mike, like I said before, new strings and a regulation will cost $1000. or more, to at least make this harp playable. Unless you can buy this harp for around $1000, I would avoid buying it. Your money could be better spent on a new harp, or you could even lease one for your daughter. You certainly do not want an old harp that would never work properly and just frustrate anyone trying to learn on it!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 1,492 total)