balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Venus Transport Cover Set? #282306
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Gretchen–so glad you saw this. I like the same things about the Camac cover, the base cover attaches to the main harp cover, and there are plenty of handles to assist moving the harp and getting it in and out of the car! On my Camac cover, there is also a nice zippered “pocket” for accessories like tuning key, tuner, and extra strings. Because of the different neck shape of Camac harps, I did not think a Camac concert grand cover would well-fit the Venus, but it seems like the Salvi cover would do very well, since the neck shape of Salvi’s is more like the Venus.

    Best wishes, everyone! We are under an eight-inch deep snow in western North Carolina right now, so happy Winter!

    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by balfour-knight. Reason: typo!
    in reply to: Wedding gig rates in the U.S. and abroad #282284
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Gerrard,

    I don’t know where you are located, but we are in western North Carolina, USA. The current rates for weddings, without having to be at the rehearsal, are around $350. here. I prefer to charge about $50 more than that for having to transport my pedal harp, compared to the ease of moving my lever harp. The rehearsal would be an additional $50. If we have to travel far, mileage charges would be added. Sometimes, I say “you need to pay all my expenses, if I have to spend the night in a hotel,” for example. Hope this gives you some idea. Maybe other harpists will post here, too!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Venus Transport Cover Set? #282283
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Rachel,

    Thanks for all your kind words. I think you are doing the right thing by choosing the Salvi concert grand cover. There is a nice professional harpist on these forums, Gretchen Cover, who loves her Salvi transport covers, like I do my Camac one. Maybe she will see this thread and respond.

    That is so interesting how Venus made that earlier harp smaller, and then larger later! L&H obviously did the same thing, over many years of redesigning their harps. My Atlantide Prestige is similar–the height used to say “73 inches.” Now, it is 74.25″ tall, and weighs more than the earlier ones! It is just like automobiles, I suppose. Sometimes the cargo area is large enough for a concert grand harp, and then when the company redesigns the car, it is not long enough to fit the harp in!

    Best of luck with your Salvi cover!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: International Flight with Full set of Strings #282271
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Yes, we all need to take strings with us in case any break on our harps, since it is not as simple to find them as it is with violin or guitar strings. Hope it all goes well for everyone who needs to take extra strings on a flight in the future.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: International Flight with Full set of Strings #282237
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Philippa,

    My, I had not thought of harp wires as “dangerous garrottes!” I knew that piano strings had been used that way, but harp strings? You learn something new every day, I suppose!

    Hope your concerts are going well. You play so beautifully!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Venus Transport Cover Set? #281745
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Paul. Rachel, according to my catalog of Venus harps in 2005, the Classic Grand Concert harp had 47 strings, was 74 3/4″ tall, the extended soundboard width was 23″, and the weight was 86 lbs. This definitely sounds larger than the harp you have, which you said is from an earlier time in the 1980’s. That may be why Kurt told you that “any large harp cover should fit your harp.”

    Happy transport cover hunting, and harp hugs,
    Balfour

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Great you got the harp part, Jaydg! But, that place between the two glissandi sounds impossible. Wonder who overlooked that? Is there any possibility that pedals can be changed in advance before that place? Or is it one setting for the 1st gliss, and then a whole new setting for the 2nd gliss? In that case, it should have been written for two harps instead of one!

    Best of luck,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Venus Transport Cover Set? #281718
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I hope so, Paul, but when I contacted them a few years ago, I never got back a reply. Are they still in business?

    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Venus Transport Cover Set? #281614
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Rachel, that is indeed a large harp, probably larger than any L&H, except for maybe the Salzedo model. You might contact Venus directly and ask them for a recommendation. They are still in the business of repairing/rebuilding harps, I believe. They should know if any L&H transport cover would fit your harp. Also, maybe a Salvi cover would fit your harp. I have a Camac concert grand, and I know that they have a different harmonic-curve and shoulder shape, so I do not think you could use a Camac cover, unfortunately. This Camac cover is the best of all the transport covers I have ever used, so if one would work, I heartily recommend it. Also, have you thought about contacting Carolyn Sykes at Pacific-Atlantic harps in CA? She sells new Camac harps and all brands of used harps, so she might be able to help you if Venus cannot. Hope this helps.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Flooring under harp #281613
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Anne, I use a nice Walmart acrylic cutting board for rolling out and cutting pastry, biscuits, rolls, cookies, etc. It is so convenient! I bet it would work beautifully under the Prelude, too!

    Happy baking, and harp hugs,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    So glad to hear all that, Jaydg! It sounds like you and the pedal harp are meant for each other. I play piano, organ and harp professionally, and I must say that the harp is the instrument of my soul. At one of my piano concerts a few years ago, a man remarked to me after the concert “you play that piano like it is a large harp!” I asked him if he knew that I was also a harpist, and he said no, but it all made sense to him now! I had never even realized that about my piano playing, but it really made me think about it, ha, ha!

    Best of luck with your pedal harp learning,
    Balfour

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Jaydg, I hope you can get the harp part in plenty of time to prepare it. I can sight-read most anything on the piano, but not on the harp, ha, ha! Even the great Henriette Renie preferred to sight-read on the piano instead of the harp, so we are in good company.

    By the way, how is learning the pedal harp going? It is so different than the lever harp! I was so lucky to learn pedal harp first, so I think it is much easier than flipping levers, ha, ha! I also love having all the flats, naturals, and sharps “under my feet,” instead of just naturals and sharps I have to change with my HANDS, which want to stay on or near the harp strings.

    Best to you, and all,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Harp Sighting #281576
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello Anna,

    There was also a harp in one of the Christmas Carol (Dickens) movies we watched this season! We watched several versions, so I’m not sure which one, but you can watch for it.

    We are enjoying the snow we got last night here in the mountains of western North Carolina, on this, the 10th Day of Christmas! It is so beautiful!

    Best to you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Harp Sighting #281572
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    We love to see harps in movies! We just saw one in an old Poirot episode!

    Happy New Year,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

    in reply to: Questions About Camac Mélusine with Carbon Soundboard #281571
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I would love to read an update from Circulus to see what happened! Happy New Year, everyone!
    Can you all believe it is 2022 already? Did we ever think we would live this long? Ha, ha!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour (I am 67 now!)

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 1,492 total)