balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Golliwog’s Cakewalk #286459
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Carl, I see both of your recent posts here. Thank you! My wife and I were thinking back to when we taught a great variety of students, on piano, harp, organ, and voice. If there was a selection in a method book or any book that a student or parent objected to, usually on religious grounds, they did not have to do that piece. The same is true here–they DO NOT have to do Golliwogg’s Cakewalk! On the other hand, if this piece has to be omitted from The Children’s Corner, it COMPELS EVERYONE to not be able to do it, at least from your new edition. Is this fair? I think not–we can make our own judgements and decisions as adults.

    You can also tell Fischer that many people will not want to purchase an INCOMPLETE collection! Do they want to make money on this? The whole suite needs to be there!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Golliwog’s Cakewalk #286314
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Carl, please keep us updated about this. I would like to purchase your new harp edition, if the entire suite is included. It is one of my favorite works by Debussy. By using my piano edition, I have played these pieces over the years on harp, but it is a challenge. I look forward to seeing how you worked around all the chromatic changes! All of your editions are pure genius, of course!

    Thanks, Philippa. It is good to see your post, and I hope all is well with you. I assume you also have enjoyed and performed The Children’s Corner on piano, as I have! Have you ever done them on harp?

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Is the Chicago CGX suitable for weddings / funerals? #286313
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Elsewhere on these forums, there is a video of a Camac Harps concert featuring Sylvain Blassel playing a beautiful, straight soundboard new Egerie. I believe Gregg Bailey posted the link. Sylvain chose that particular harp model because of the repertoire he played, in which he needed less sustain and less resonance from the bass strings. It is an amazing performance, as are all of Sylvain’s! For general purposes, however, most harpists would indeed prefer the extended soundboard, for all of the reasons we know.

    Best wishes in your new pedal harp adventure,
    Balfour
    P. S. My first concert grand pedal harp, many years ago, was an 85CGEX. It was very nice, but could not come near my current Atlantide Prestige!

    in reply to: Is the Chicago CGX suitable for weddings / funerals? #286302
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    The EX larger soundboard area does make a great difference to the overall tone of the harp. L&H gets the credit for inventing the extended soundboard, and it made a great impact on the harp world. Harpists at that time remarked on how full the tone of the bass was with the extended soundboard. If you intend to mostly play this harp without amplification, then I would strongly recommend the larger soundboard. If you can try out the harps in person, then you could compare the straight soundboard to the extended and see what you think. I hope this helps.

    Brian Noel is also a professional harpist, and he may agree about the extended soundboard. Most of us do prefer that, I think.

    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Is the Chicago CGX suitable for weddings / funerals? #286299
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I don’t know where you are located, but since you are talking about a L&H, you do have other options available in the same general price range. I just checked the prices of the L&Hs and other brands at the Virginia Harp Center, USA. The Chicago CGEX is $18,500, a Salvi Daphne 47EX is $19,900, a Salvi Daphne 47SE is $16,500, a Salvi Arion 47SG is $18,900, and a Camac Egerie EX is $18,900. Since I am a Camac fan and own an Atlantide Prestige, I would look at the Egerie. The sound, resonance and projection of Camac harps are much more suitable than the other brands of harps, for weddings/funerals, etc. that you asked about. If it were just between the Chicago and the Salvi’s, I would pick a Salvi.

    This is, of course, my humble opinion, and other folks here would certainly have the right to disagree, but I am a professional harpist and I know from experience about these different brands of harps. I hope this helps.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Golliwog’s Cakewalk #286244
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    We are absolutely in agreement, Gretchen. Thank You!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

    in reply to: I almost became a victim of a scam! #286224
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I am sorry that you almost got scammed. Please do not place any blame on Harp Column, and I do hope you will feel free to post things here again. Since you were selling the harp box, does that mean that you recently got a new harp? How exciting, and congratulations if you did!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Golliwog’s Cakewalk #286223
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thank you both, Carl and Charles. Bravo for “love of American Black entertainment.”

    in reply to: Golliwog’s Cakewalk #286197
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    One more tidbit about the history of this suite: Debussy wrote the titles in English because of the English governess of his little daughter, Chouchou.

    in reply to: Golliwog’s Cakewalk #286182
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Part 2, ha, ha! There must be a difference of opinion about the spelling of the title of this piece. In the Alfred edition, 1984, edited by Margery Halford, it is spelled “Golliwogg’s Cake Walk.” It is movement (or piece) number VI, and above the piece is this explanation: “The Golliwogg is a little doll whose popularity, Schmitz says, was ‘assured in Europe by his simultaneous appearance with newly imported and sought after minstrel groups.’ The cake walk is a lively dance.”

    I hope this helps.
    Balfour

    in reply to: Golliwog’s Cakewalk #286181
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I think your explanation is very good, Carl. I agree that this piece is probably the most popular one of this entire suite, so by all means, it should not be left out. When I first learned to play The Children’s Corner on piano, many years ago, “Golliwog’s Cakewalk” was my favorite, as were the ragtime pieces by Scott Joplin. I do hope your publisher will be open-minded enough about this to include Golliwog. I personally would not buy an edition which did not include all the pieces that Debussy wrote for this beautiful suite. I would feel cheated!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Lever Harp Experiences #286100
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Gregg–I just saw your post here. Also, in the little Effie videos, Christy, notice that she stands up to play the harp. I am sure your daughter will be able to reach the harp strings of whatever harp you decide to get. I have seen little children play full-size concert grands, like my Atlantide!

    Good luck in this harp adventure,
    Balfour

    in reply to: changing string type on L&H Folk Harp? #285741
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Lauran,

    Have you ever tried out a Dusty Boulevard? They are the pedal-harp tension version of Dusty’s collection. I imagine that the Boulevard is about as different from our FH36S’s as your L&H is. The Boulevard is of course a very nice harp, if you like that more mellow tone.

    Wishing you a great day,
    Balfour

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Biagio, that way, the poor old harp could indeed “enter into its rest,” ha, ha!

    in reply to: changing string type on L&H Folk Harp? #285698
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Lauran, Charles, and Biagio,

    Great posts here! Lauran, I am a little surprised that you even kept the L&H after you bought the Dusty FH36S and love it so much. The only lever harp I own now is a cherry FH36S, and the only other harp I own that I love as much as the Dusty is a Camac Atlantide Prestige concert grand pedal harp. I sold all my other harps in favor of just these two. It was unfair to expect my former harps to compete with my current two, and I knew I would never wish to play those former harps again, when I could be playing my current two.

    If you enjoy the tonal (and tension) difference between the two harps, then play both, by all means. But I am like you, I am spoiled by the Dusty (and the Camac!). I don’t think that changing the strings would make too much of a difference, unless you did what Biagio suggested and also change the soundboard. However you decide, I wish you good luck in this.

    Harp Hugs everyone,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 1,492 total)