vicky-s

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Want to learn how to play the harp, which to choose? #78146
    vicky-s
    Participant

    Thank you so much for the advice! 🙂 The main reason I was thinking about starting with a small harp is that one of the reasons I was drawn to the harp was how much more portable it is than the piano. So If I were to get a bigger harp, I know I would probably want a ‘travel harp’ down the line. So I figured if I got the travel harp first, I could save up and also learn more before choosing. Plus, music can be adapted 🙂
    But then I heard that it’s better to start with a floor harp… Plus, I don’t want to start getting bad habits! I know from piano how hard it is to unlearn bad technique. So…

    in reply to: Want to learn how to play the harp, which to choose? #78144
    vicky-s
    Participant

    Alison P Wilson- I’m not that interested in the pedal harp, for some of the reasons I’m not interested in playing the piano… I speak fluent french, why?

    So if you can play faster music on a more resonant harp, would this be possible? Or would the sustain make the notes “bleed” together too much?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9Yu5IbZbM

    To make things more complicated, I’ve been listening to the sound sample of the FH34 on the Dusty Strings website. I like it so much more than the sound samples of either the Ravenna or the Hermine I’ve found…. Of course it costs twice as much! I’d have to ask my parents to pay, and though I think they wouldn’t mind, I dislike doing so. Then again, I’m 18, and I haven’t asked for a car! 😀
    I’d rather buy one harp I love than to have to “upgrade” in a few years…

    I might have to plan a trip to Paris to try them out then? I’m not sure how that would work, though, given that I still have no idea of how to play!

    in reply to: Want to learn how to play the harp, which to choose? #78140
    vicky-s
    Participant

    Thank you for your answers 🙂 Camac does make a lot more sense, given that I live in France (and the Ravenna costs 800euro more in France than in the US! It would be like 3150 USD instead of 1900 USD…) The Hermine is beautiful, and I have heard music on youtube on camac harps that I really like.

    The Hermine still seems like a better choice overall, but I am curious about the difference in sound?
    (I know some people here have complained of the Ravenna having too much sustain, and when I played the piano before, my teacher told me I used the sustain pedal too much 🙂 I thought it sounded better).
    Because between these two videos, I kind of prefer the Ravenna (it seems, uh, richer?)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7hHgWxyoWg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xRFyoAJUeM

    Are these videos representative of how they actually sound, or is the difference due to the music, the way they are played, the individual harp, the recording?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)