Tomye Waller

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Shoulder replacement surgery #192421
    Tomye Waller
    Member

    Sorry to here about the upcoming surgery.
    First ask what kind of shoulder replacement. There are different types. The drive is to go less invasive in these surgeries.
    As far as Rehab. after surgery make sure you complete it and don’t over do it. This includes rushing through it.
    Talk with the Therapy folks to before the surgery to explain to them what you do as harpist. How you position yourself to play.
    Be your own advocate. Ask questions to your doctor’s office/ therapist. Most surgeons are not aware of what is needed by harpist to recover. Surgeons fix bodies, they are mainly focused on that.
    While your shoulder is immobilized continue to hand exercises and wrist stretches. Again talk to your therapist to identify exercises.
    The big thing in shoulder recovery is to keep muscles that can move moving until all of the arm can move without pain. Remember don’t rush it.
    Best of luck to you.

    in reply to: Which shoulder? #89108
    Tomye Waller
    Member

    It is good to know that there are lefty pedal harps. It will be a long time before I need another harp. Although it is a regular pedal harp, it is quite comfortable to play even as lefty. I will continue to play lefty regardless.
    As a child, I was painfully forced to be right handed. For a year, I had to write right handed. My hand writing suffered greatly. I didn’t want any chance of that happening to my attempt a playing the harp.
    Your news of left handed harp lets me know that lefties have been acknowledged and accepted in the harp community. I was under the impression that I was alone in my quest to be a left shoulder harpist. Thank you!!

    in reply to: Which shoulder? #89101
    Tomye Waller
    Member

    It feels better to play left shoulder. I am left handed and right eye dominate. Playing on the right shoulder is more disorienting to me. This is important when you are trying to learn how to play.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)