Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Pedal harps suitable for small players #184190
    Tacye
    Participant

    I am nearly 4 inches taller than you and can play almost every pedal harp I have met without feeling too small. However, if you find you have trouble with many 47 strings Pilgrim do a couple of models, the Malvern and Aldeburgh, which I find have a particularly friendly balance for shorter players.

    in reply to: Incorrectly marked pedals in printed parts #184082
    Tacye
    Participant

    I live in hope that it should be less work to alter printed pedals to my preferences than to start from scratch. Sometimes it is!

    While a different matter to printing them, I strongly encourage non-harpist composers to work out the pedals – and then count how many feet they think the poor harpist has!

    in reply to: Glissando in Orchestra #183834
    Tacye
    Participant

    I too use the Petite Pigs (bought from Salvi). Often I prefer the sound because as Kreig says you can cut through and be heard. While it is of course best to make the exact sound in rehearsal you will in concert I do sometimes use the picks in rehearsal even if I am going to use fingers in the concert if I feel my fingers will suffer to the extent I won’t play my best in concert if I don’t.

    in reply to: TWITTER #183770
    Tacye
    Participant

    I assumed Carl was particularly querying the twitter messages that now appear on this site somewhere (is it the homepage?) rather than twitter generally.

    in reply to: Camac Anthena extended, Vendome or Prestige #183749
    Tacye
    Participant

    I agree with Emma – is she large enough for the harps you are talking about? Does she play one in lessons? Do you also have a way to move such an instrument to rehearsals and performances? I suggest that you discuss smaller harps with the teacher, and even second hand ones. While second hand prices will vary between countries, I would expect you to be able to sell a third hand harp on for a similar price to what you paid when the time comes to upgrade it. If you could find, for instance, a second hand Clio by the time your daughter has outgrown that one she will be a better player and much more able to choose the harp which suits her as a player.

    in reply to: Travel Harp #183673
    Tacye
    Participant

    A couple more ideas, neither of which I have played.
    http://www.selkiestrings.co.uk/travel.html
    http://www.niebischandtree.co.uk/new-harps-troubador.html

    I have however seen people cycle with a harp about the size of a Pilgrim Clarsach 34 string on their back in a nice backpack case. I have also seen someone cycling with a double base on their back so guess it depends on your cycling, and where you would be doing this.

    Tacye
    Participant

    Another question touched on above is what musical background do you have and how confident are you about arranging your own music?

    Why are you looking at those types of harps and not a single row one? Whose playing do you like to listen to and what are they playing on?

    in reply to: Arm Pain #183303
    Tacye
    Participant

    Have you consulted someone who specialises in musicians’ rehabilitation?

    There is only a little left hand alone harp repertoire I know of – would that frustrate or help?

    in reply to: Double-strung harp saga #183302
    Tacye
    Participant

    I have found it interesting to scrounge string ends and old strings from other players – harp and other instrumentalists.

    You need to doo a bit of maths and add string lengths, but these may help work out if any instrument is particularly worth scrounging from.

    http://daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf
    http://www.orchestral.daddario.com/orchestralTensionCharts.page

    in reply to: Double-strung harp saga #183298
    Tacye
    Participant

    Savarez do do wound nylons, but you have to look away from the harp pages. You might find it interesting to investigate tape wound guitar strings and see where that leads you.

    in reply to: Double-strung harp saga #183233
    Tacye
    Participant

    I expect wound strings nowadays to come with ends, but have taken some old soft core ones off harps which had knots tied, which might help cut your cost.

    in reply to: String spacing on pedal harps #183162
    Tacye
    Participant

    My view is that more standardised harps aren’t needed – at least not until we have more standardised harpists! If most harpists could agree on a best spacing I doubt there would be so much variety.

    For your spacing collection – Pilgrim design their harps to have the same spacing top to bottom.

    in reply to: Camac Bardic 27 help!!! #183141
    Tacye
    Participant

    That wasn’t the query I intended – my comparison was between a metal core with nylon wrap and a slightly thicker wire with no wrap as I know plain bronze works in similar circumstances and is much cheaper.

    in reply to: Camac Bardic 27 help!!! #183139
    Tacye
    Participant

    Phosphor bronze with a Nylon wrap around it? Having the wrap of a less dense material surprises me as it won’t give much of a flexibility benefit over a solid wire.

    I haven’t come across Salopian doing windings in Nylon, but worth asking.

    in reply to: Camac Bardic 27 help!!! #182927
    Tacye
    Participant

    Ah, I didn’t think of price as Salopian charge the same for the two cores. Can you share a cheaper source of steel cored windings?

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 1,469 total)