Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: bass wires #200719
    Tacye
    Participant

    My string suppliers don’t charge enough for them to be more than silver plated.

    in reply to: bass wires #200710
    Tacye
    Participant

    Steel cores, some sort of floss (traditionally silk, but the stuff on my harp melts in an artifical way so perhaps nylon) and copper which is tinned, silvered or whatever the red and black coating is for the winding.

    in reply to: Wagner: Magic Fire Music #198877
    Tacye
    Participant

    Whichever version you learn, you will probably not want to redo all that work to learn a different one later if it comes up again, so be sure you are happy with your choice.

    in reply to: Lever harp etudes? #198487
    Tacye
    Participant

    Thank Carl, I am glad it wasn’t an evil misprint crept in.

    in reply to: Lever harp etudes? #198456
    Tacye
    Participant

    On the topic of printing, I was looking at the sample pages and doubt the fingering in bar 3 of the 1st etude – it is different from the left hand version.  You have probably picked this up already.

    in reply to: When a string breaks during performance #198272
    Tacye
    Participant

    When I need to change a string and play on it right away I do a lot of tugging on the new string to stretch it rather than just letting it stretch by sitting at pitch or get a little stretch every time it is played.

    A lot of a string not keeping pitch is the knot tightening, so if I have changed a string because I didn’t like it, but it is still just about passable I keep it as an emergency spare and find that will keep pitch faster, though can be fiddly to get through the soundboard.

    in reply to: Soundboard Decoration #198175
    Tacye
    Participant

    If you know what the current finish on the soundboard is, it may be possible to pick a paint which can be removed later.  For instance polyurethane is sometimes used on harps and is resistant to many solvents, so you pick a paint which won’t bleed into the existing finish and can be removed by a solvent which wouldn’t bother the polyurethane.  You also need to be sure there are no cracks in the finish for the paint to seep through.

    in reply to: Possible purchase #197824
    Tacye
    Participant

    On the other hand if you are comfortable buying and selling things, you might find that buying a sensibly priced used harp and later selling it saves you money compared to the hire costs you now have.  But only if your daughter likes the harp to practice on as much as the hire one.  I think it worth considering – just because you buy a harp doesn’t mean you can’t change it if it isn’t the right one for your daughter, just as you would if you decided you had the wrong car.

    in reply to: 4-2-3-1 fingerings #197445
    Tacye
    Participant

    I make a distinction between awkward-uncomfortable and painful/damaging-uncomfortable.  Many techniques are awkward to start, but it shouldn’t be painful.

    in reply to: 4-2-3-1 fingerings #197442
    Tacye
    Participant

    I would make a distinction between pieces, where usually I want the music to take priority, and studies which I am often playing to improve a technical issue.  There seems little point in playing a study and avoiding the very technical issue it was written for.  Though some things just won’t work for some people, such as really huge chords and tiny hands – do you have a teacher to advise on if you should persevere?

    4231 is an exercise for 42  31 as chords, which I find can be a useful choice more often than 4231 itself.  That crossed fingering, but downwards, is what I chose in the end for Balulalow (Ceremony of Carols), though I did take a while going back and forth between fingerings to settle on it.  At that point I was grateful for doing the hard exercises earlier.

    in reply to: Is a lap harp a good idea for me? #197253
    Tacye
    Participant

    With small harps, I find a roll of anti-slip drawer liner really useful stopping them sliding away, and letting me relax and stop clutching them so hard.  This sort of thing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Multipurpose-Non-Slip-Mat-Furniture/dp/B00AVJ9GBY

    in reply to: Black Spots/Holes Appeared on Harp #197176
    Tacye
    Participant

    You can see that on some of the spots the wood grain curls around them, which shows they didn’t just come from outside – it wouldn’t do that if you splattered paint on it.  There are also similar markings on this picture of cherry wood http://vermontwoodsstudios.com/content/cherry-wood

    Wood does change colour slightly as it ages which can change how prominent patterning is.

    in reply to: Is a lap harp a good idea for me? #197059
    Tacye
    Participant

    I am going to disagree slightly here – most harps are made to be played, to make music.  This often entails less than ideal treatment.  They are more likely to pick up dents and bruises if taken around to different venues and how many of us keep them in temperature and humidity controlled perfection every hour of every day? If someone lives on a houseboat and wants to play, or enjoy owning, a harp then it may well be worth the extra attention this requires.  (I do exclude a few very special irreplacable instruments from this philosophy, mostly antiques.)

    in reply to: Is a lap harp a good idea for me? #197031
    Tacye
    Participant

    I have a 22 string brass strung harp with nylon spacing – would you like to borrow it for a bit to try out?  It is a Stoney End Eve I restrung.  Bottom note is usually the A a 10th below middle C.

    in reply to: Problem with one lever on a new Camac harp #197007
    Tacye
    Participant

    Just in case you haven’t already checked – the string is still going through the groove on the nut or bridgepin the same as the others?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 1,469 total)