Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,816 through 1,830 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Switching from Lever Harp to Pedal Harp #108495

    For me it was two things: the repertoire, and being freed from having to flip levers all the time while my feet do nothing. And then there was, of course, that glorious tone.

    in reply to: Harp and Marimba Duo #150790

    That sounds exciting. She did quite a few pieces with the Annapolis Brass, but I never knew all the repertoire.

    in reply to: Question on covers and dollies #74781

    I would recommend something like the Harpporter while they are still available. The big rubber tires work as well on stairs as anything else with less shock and they are easy to steer.

    in reply to: Overplaying the instrument… #150780

    Actually, I am reminded of the fervent sect-like orientations in the dance world, between ballet and modern, and within each field, tremendous and fierce loyalties to instructors and choreographers and companies. It is still pretty strong today. I think it is merely a result of the expanding arts of the 20th century, where in the 19th century there were fewer choices. I know pianists who are equally partisan about their schools of playing, and they have many more than harpists do. It is the nature of the world of art. I am glad that many of us believe enough in what we do to care so deeply. I respect that. What a boring world it is when every one always agrees or never speaks their mind.

    in reply to: Harp and Marimba Duo #150788

    The American Wind Symphony Orchestra toured (or tours) the American waterways giving concerts every summer, or did, and always took a harpist along, and I believe they commissioned a piece every year or just every so often for harp and wind orchestra (band).

    in reply to: My Erard makes it’s debut! #74773

    Have you heard the Hungarian recording of the Albrechtsberger Concerto on a Nadermann harp? It sounds pretty good and seems audible. I used a Lyon Healy style 14 once to play

    in reply to: Playing “in” or “into” the strings #84102

    I don’t question that you can learn from expert people, Sam, I just know that as a teacher, if I am competing with other input, it’s much harder for me to do my job. I need to know if I am not explaining things in a clear enough way, and I need to know that the results I see are the result of what I have taught. The student and teacher need to trust each other.

    in reply to: Playing “in” or “into” the strings #84815

    I don’t question that you can learn from expert people, Sam, I just know that as a teacher, if I am competing with other input, it’s much harder for me to do my job. I need to know if I am not explaining things in a clear enough way, and I need to know that the results I see are the result of what I have taught. The student and teacher need to trust each other.

    in reply to: Playing “in” or “into” the strings #85325

    I don’t question that you can learn from expert people, Sam, I just know that as a teacher, if I am competing with other input, it’s much harder for me to do my job. I need to know if I am not explaining things in a clear enough way, and I need to know that the results I see are the result of what I have taught. The student and teacher need to trust each other.

    in reply to: Soundboard repairs? #74748

    Is it the veneer or the sound board underneath?

    in reply to: Overplaying the instrument… #150779

    It depends a lot on the orchestra you play in and the acoustics of your hall. Alice Chalifoux’s tone worked perfectly in the Cleveland Orchestra, which is rather dry sounding, and the extra edge she puts on the notes so they cut through are not harmful to the overall sound. That has a lot to do with their hall, I’m pretty sure. It wouldn’t work in the same way in a lush hall. There are things you can do to alter your tone to affect its projection. It would be wonderful if we could easily study the shapes of our soundwaves if our tuners had oscilloscope functions. Soundwaves can be altered in their onset as well as decay.

    in reply to: What’s your favorite piece to perform? #150816

    Carlos Salzedo’s Scintillation would head the list, followed by his Variations. Other highlights have been his transcriptions of Mendelssohn and Debussy, the Faure Impromptu, the first Prelude by Alojz Srebotnjak, the Hindemith Sonata. That doesn’t mean they are necessarily the best pieces. The hardest to perform have been the Pescetti Sonata and the C.P.E. Bach Sonata (Lawrence edition). I have performed a lot of solo literature, and the way that Salzedo has of making the harp so sonorous is of great advantage to the performer. I have some unusual repertoire, but I’m not revealing my secrets.

    in reply to: Harpgigs.com/harpteachers.com #150830

    I tried a couple of similar services, and all I ever got was spam. In certain areas, like Silicon Valley and D.C., people use the internet more to find teachers, but not here, it seems.

    in reply to: Harpgigs.com/harpteachers.com #150829

    Thank you. They are still trying to get me to sign up.

    in reply to: Siciliene Gabriel Faure #150836

    Dewey’s version is based, I think, on Faure’s own reduction. He has so many extra voices that, though I will play them, most harpists won’t. It’s a gorgeous piece, though, and the more you can fit in, the better. Music is not supposed to be convenient for us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,816 through 1,830 (of 2,806 total)