Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,516 through 1,530 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Lyon and Healy base cover issue #73600

    I have the Harp Porter, which has a larger shelf, it sounds like.

    in reply to: Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps? #71922

    I think this was discussed elsewhere, but Geraldine Ruegg was Dilling’s secretary, I think, was the term, and she inherited or managed her harps that were rented out. That’s the last I heard about it.

    in reply to: Changing technique #83768

    What is it you would gain musically from this? To me, it would be a waste of time unless there is no other program available where you can continue with your present technique. It will certainly slow down your work for a while. The people I know who have switched around schools in whatever direction have tended to have a mish-mosh in the end with no clear esthetic approach to the harp.

    Yes you can change, but it should only be for the better, whichever that is for you. Easier is not necessarily better. Think about your musical goals, and perhaps the repertoire you want to learn, and what kind of sound you want to have in the end. These are critical years. Will you be able to go to graduate school? How long will you have for advanced study? And what are your goals for after school? Why are you looking for what seems easier? Are you just avoiding working harder, which you will end up doing in any school? A French teacher may make it feel easier physically, but maybe you will have to do what Carl likes to talk about and play etudes all the time. They have their own ways of making it hard, I am pretty sure. Right?

    in reply to: Changing technique #84481

    What is it you would gain musically from this? To me, it would be a waste of time unless there is no other program available where you can continue with your present technique. It will certainly slow down your work for a while. The people I know who have switched around schools in whatever direction have tended to have a mish-mosh in the end with no clear esthetic approach to the harp.

    Yes you can change, but it should only be for the better, whichever that is for you. Easier is not necessarily better. Think about your musical goals, and perhaps the repertoire you want to learn, and what kind of sound you want to have in the end. These are critical years. Will you be able to go to graduate school? How long will you have for advanced study? And what are your goals for after school? Why are you looking for what seems easier? Are you just avoiding working harder, which you will end up doing in any school? A French teacher may make it feel easier physically, but maybe you will have to do what Carl likes to talk about and play etudes all the time. They have their own ways of making it hard, I am pretty sure. Right?

    in reply to: Changing technique #84991

    What is it you would gain musically from this? To me, it would be a waste of time unless there is no other program available where you can continue with your present technique. It will certainly slow down your work for a while. The people I know who have switched around schools in whatever direction have tended to have a mish-mosh in the end with no clear esthetic approach to the harp.

    Yes you can change, but it should only be for the better, whichever that is for you. Easier is not necessarily better. Think about your musical goals, and perhaps the repertoire you want to learn, and what kind of sound you want to have in the end. These are critical years. Will you be able to go to graduate school? How long will you have for advanced study? And what are your goals for after school? Why are you looking for what seems easier? Are you just avoiding working harder, which you will end up doing in any school? A French teacher may make it feel easier physically, but maybe you will have to do what Carl likes to talk about and play etudes all the time. They have their own ways of making it hard, I am pretty sure. Right?

    in reply to: Arthritis in my hands #149545

    You can have injections in the joints which can give relief for several months, and paraffin soaks are supposed to help. I don’t know about surgery.

    in reply to: Oh Sleep, My Pretty Baby (traditional) #149114

    I

    in reply to: Salome – Dance of the 7 Veils #149656

    I do, but it is mixed up with all my other versions. Ask her for a copy.

    in reply to: Gauges #73605

    I believe I was referring to that on one gauge the string would fit halfway between pitches, making it a half-step.

    in reply to: Lyon and Healy base cover issue #73595

    I was planning to buy a transport set, and I’m glad to be forewarned. Can you attach something rubbery to the bottom of the cover? What’s a ghetto cover?

    Unlike some people, I always thought some wear and tear marks on a harp were badges of honor. A cosmetically perfect older harp looks suspicious to me. Like it wasn’t worth taking out of the house.

    in reply to: Just wanted to mention #107345

    Given my recent experience with three different 1911 Lyon & Healy string gauges, I don’t see how one can declare definitively that there was but one way of stringing harps until 1935.

    in reply to: Salzedo #107843

    He is also on a cd called masters of the piano roll, playing piano. Equally awesome. I am hoping his lps will be released on cd. I am going to try to transfer mine, but I don’t know how high the quality will be.

    I will say, the overarching impression I have from his playing is that he was without limitations whatsoever. I have never heard that in anyone else.

    in reply to: Nail Polish??? 0.o #107812

    I tried a clear polish a couple of times, and it thickened my nails enough to increase buzzing. It is visually distracting on stage to have any color on. The worst is bright red, especially on pointy nails. I thought it was a point of pride for harpists not to wear nail polish, to be unusual.

    in reply to: Vanderbilt Classic Gut-discontinue #73626

    The Bow Brand Burgundy gut strings would be quite similar, but Bow Brand would be a step up from the Classic, I think. Purer tone, better pitch, longer lasting.

    in reply to: hungarian harp music #149647

    I would like to have more of his music, too. The Old Hungarian Melodies were a transcription by Liana Pasquali.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,516 through 1,530 (of 2,806 total)