Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
nbaugher
ParticipantI started playing at 50, on a Lyon & Healy Prelude. I went through the ABRSM program to push my progression through level 5, within about 4 years on that harp. I wanted to play a pedal harp because it sounds sooo beautiful and there is so much music I wish to play that requires the range and the sound of a pedal harp, though I love the portability of a lever harp. Within 5 years I used the L&H bounty program to get my first pedal harp. I was nervous about pedal changes, but trust me it comes and it opens up so many doors to playing music. I am managing with intermediate and advanced pieces. I find I can manage them by moving with the music (a reach for a bass note helps with the momentum of a foot change, if that makes any sense). I have a L&H Chicago expanded, and a beautiful 100-year old L&H 17 (belonged to a professional harpist). I also have an electric 36 string DHC to take on vacation because I hate to be without a harp, but it is the sound of my pedal harps that bring me the most joy, and the folks at church love to see and hear the pedal harps (I play at church on holidays). I’m now 63. I am working on a piece now: Phillip Glass’s Metamorphosis 2, Lavinia Meijer. Not the same on a lever harp.
-
AuthorPosts