mike-c

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: A different approach to building a pedal harp #72266
    mike-c
    Participant

    oops up above I meant to say “like the hydraulic tubes of a brake system of a car”.

    in reply to: Reaching 1st octave #158006
    mike-c
    Participant

    Tayce – thank goodness the edges of the action plate on my harp are dulled-out to remove the sharpness .

    in reply to: Reaching 1st octave #158005
    mike-c
    Participant

    Thanks for all the replies. I measured with a ruler and saw that the soundboard to the action is 2 1/4″ measured perpendicularly from the soundboard, and 2″ parallel to the strings. I will try my teacher’s concert-grand this week and see what difference there is.

    I would definitely consider having Carl replace my neck, but I doubt santa can fit a harp neck through my chimney this year.

    in reply to: can you polish bridge pins and discs ? #74270
    mike-c
    Participant

    I think the consensus is pretty clear on this one. Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. I feel so badly for the people who lived before this information age where experienced people can amass knowledge and share it with the less enlightened so quickly. Harps are so intricate, complex, and counter-intuitive that there’s just no other way to know these things.

    I liked the last poster who mentioned that we all have our scars and imperfections from the hands of time. I suppose I can accept that and look beyond the desire for “luster”, despite having sunk a lustrous penny into my instrument.

    in reply to: muted sound coming from one string #74760
    mike-c
    Participant

    It’s just the natural position.

    in reply to: Light bowing in the soundboard ? #159657
    mike-c
    Participant

    Thank you very much for the reply.

    in reply to: Light bowing in the soundboard ? #159655
    mike-c
    Participant

    Thanks for the reply. It’s about 15 years old.

    Would you happen to know anything about cracks in the verathane finish, such as how severe it is, how common that is to happen, and how urgently I should get it re-varnished ? I would guess that cracked varnish would allow moisture in and out of the wood which would be bad, but I don’t know for a fact. There are various cracks 1-2″ in length across the soundboard and neck that are only on the varnish layer, not the wood itself.

    Thanks,

    Mike

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)