Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Lauren L
ParticipantHi Madalaine,
I too suggest contacting Harps International. They offer both rental and rent-to-own programs. I recently contacted them about a rent-to-own program so that I could explore a particular harp I do not have much experience with and they have been incredibly helpful. You may be able to secure a used pedal harp rental with them. It is worth a shot.
Also, you might want to put an add in your local paper or perhaps a flyer at the local library. Sometimes individuals have instruments that have taken on a decorative feature in their home for one reason or another. Perhaps because the intended recipient is no longer interested in playing (because we’ve never seen someone lose interest in a whim before…albeit an expensive whim). The instrument might require regulating but, it might be worth it.
Best of luck and I do hope that your intended University has an instrument for you to play or a resource for you to acquire one at a reasonable rate.
All My Best,
Lauren
Lauren L
ParticipantI do not think it’s unreasonable to inquire as to whether someone is willing to rent a harp that they own at a “discounted” price because she is trying to finance their music education on her own. While I agree that the prices are most likely reasonable, it’s not always the case. I rented a bassoon while in college for $250 for 6 months and Bassoons can cost just as much as a Pedal Harp. So, it just depends on who is renting to you and perhaps they’re happy just to have income coming in from something that was sitting on a shelf. The economy is rough these day and someone who has a harp that they’re either not using or an extra harp might be interested in making a little money. The situation has to be right but it’s not an impossible situation. The young lady did not ask for someone to lend him a harp for free. It sounds a bit critical if we were to question her search simply because her parents won’t or are unable to finance her pursuits. I can understand this as the harp is the first instrument I wanted to learn to play, yet my mother was a single parent and harps weren’t easy to come by for rental 20 years ago. So, I had to choose another instrument.
-
AuthorPosts