Kate

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Looking for a new harpmobile! #78216
    Kate
    Participant

    Gretchen – My insurance is actually the one covering the car rental right now, and here in a day or two they are going to start processing the paperwork to get me money for my totaled van, which means I will have 7 days to return the rental van before paying for it out of my own pocket. So because this window is coming up quickly, I need to seriously hunt for a car this weekend because the only days my dad and I have match up to look for cars are on the weekends.

    I’m not feeling pressured at all to settle with the other insurance, I have 2 years to do so with them. My dad and I talked (he’s the primary on my car insurance) and decided we wanted to wait a year or so just to make sure that no other injuries pop up – that way if something does pop up it’s not too late to have it covered with the insurance. Plus I’m keeping a journal of everything relating to the accident – things I’m having trouble doing, things that hurt, what in my life these things are affecting, etc.

    So far it seems as though both insurance companies are trying to work with me (the other company claimed fault for the accident, thank goodness because the guy fell asleep at the wheel and drove into MY lane!), but I’m just glad I have my dad helping me with all of this. I wouldn’t know the first thing to do had I needed to deal with this all on my own!

    Also, thanks so much for all your advice! I really appreciate it 🙂

    in reply to: Looking for a new harpmobile! #78214
    Kate
    Participant

    S Evans – The Toyota Rav4 looks really nice! I’m curious though if older models will hold a CG, all of my harp goodies, and a passenger the same way? I can’t afford a new car so I have to find a used car instead. I took a look at the Prius V and although it will certainly fit a CG and everything else quite nicely it had terrible crash ratings for a front-end crash (like I experienced). I don’t think I’d feel very safe in one at all, even if I could find one used in my price range! I took a look at that blog post though, and it was nice seeing how a CG actually fit into all those cars – thanks!

    Gretchen – So am I! It could have been SO much worse… especially if the crash had happened the day before, which is when I bring my CG rental harp to my college! Somehow though I managed to escape with minor injuries (although I still need to have my right knee checked out… it’s been 2 weeks since the accident and it’s still bothering me). The other person’s insurance company is a one-time settlement sort of deal, so I’m waiting for a bit before I do anything with it just to make sure that everything is okay with me in the long-term. I’ve been told that back injuries, for example, can take a few months to show up!

    I’m just trying to find the right car that will fulfill all my needs on my slim, $6k budget… and it’s looking as though my time is quickly running out to find something because before long the insurance company is going to stop paying for my rental van and it’s going to start coming out of my own pocket! Definitely not what I want.

    I may have to just get something that is “okay” for now since time is running out, and hope that when I do settle I get enough to upgrade to something that really fits all of my needs – but I’d rather just get it right this time so I don’t have to worry about it again for a while =/

    in reply to: Looking for a new harpmobile! #78211
    Kate
    Participant

    I found a 2009 matrix at a local dealership that I was thinking of bringing my harp to this weekend to try out, but most of the used Matrix’s I’ve found online were 2005s. The ones that were 2009 or newer were either way out of my price range or had way too many miles on them.

    If a Matrix doesn’t work out, what other smallish/gas economical harpmobiles are there that could fit a passenger (and are relatively safe)? My dad is really emphasizing the safety factor of whatever vehicle I get because of my head on collision and how lucky I was, as am I. So good crash ratings are important, but I can look that up myself if I know what type of cars (other than the standard minivan of course) can hold a CG and a passenger.

    in reply to: Looking for a new harpmobile! #78208
    Kate
    Participant

    I think I may have seen that post already, and although the Prius V looks fantastic I’m looking for a used car. My poor old minivan wasn’t worth a whole lot, so I’m working with a tight enough budget that I can’t afford a brand new car 🙁 But that’s why I was asking about the Toyota Matrix, because I have found quite a few used ones in my price range.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)