Molly K

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Webster Harp vs Dusty Strings? #234391
    Molly K
    Participant

    Frankly, I’m leery of purchasing a lever harp with pedal tension. Ideally, I’d get a nice lever harp that’s very good for Celtic and folk music and acceptable for simple more classical pieces. And perhaps in the future invest in a pedal harp that I could get serious about classical music with.

    in reply to: Webster Harp vs Dusty Strings? #234385
    Molly K
    Participant

    Thank you so much for all those points to consider. I live in Nebraska and have one nearby harp store that has one L&H Prelude, which is out of my budget range (and I’m not a fan of the levers from what I’ve read). So unfortunately trying is just not an option.

    I think you are right about the Ravenna – it seems well-loved and regarded by many, which is probably the best I can hope for buying something unheard or played.

    I am tempted by the Oladion as well. One thing I do wonder is how much those extra strings matter. I am still very much a beginner so I feel I can’t judge what I will or won’t need in the future. I like classical as well as folk and traditional music, but when playing on the mikel 38 I have yet to use the top or bottom two strings – in fact, I haven’t used anything below the low G. On the other hand, it didn’t take me long to grow beyond the 26 strings on my harpsicle, and I fear that will happen to me again if I invest in a 34 string harp. What do you think? I have considered investing in a petite pedal harp in the future, but that would be at least 5 years from now.

    in reply to: Mikel Celtic / Mikel Harps Review #233813
    Molly K
    Participant

    Yes, I have very much learned my lesson with cheap harps. I come from a music background, and was misled by prior experience. I’ve never had a problem with cheaper foreign guitars or many other instruments. But harps have proven to be a different story.

    I think the strings are just subpar, as the new strings I’ve gotten from Robinson’s feel a bit different. The bridge pins do seem to have quite the angle from the tuning/string holding pegs, but it isn’t any sharper then on my harpsicle.

    Currently, I’m planning on selling the Mikel at a reduced price (I hate to rip off someone else to make up for my mistake) and using it for a down payment on a Ravenna 34.

    in reply to: Mikel Celtic / Mikel Harps Review #233467
    Molly K
    Participant

    The second man I spoke with was either the boss or a higher up, I’m unsure. He was the one that recalculated his prices so that I owed *him* $60. It dif not encourage me to try to go higher up the chain.

    On my invoice, it specifically stated *VAT free home delivery, customs clearance paid*. So yes, I was upset that not only was it not delivered to my home, I paid the customs fees.

    Yes, the harp registers at 44 lbs, which is approximately 14 lbs over the 30 lb stated weight.

    At this point, I think the best solution possible has been reached. I just want to warn others so no one else has to deal with Mikel Harps.

    in reply to: My First Wedding #232107
    Molly K
    Participant

    Thank you so much for the assistance! Emma, I’m not able to see the link to the book you mentioned, what is it called? Thank you!

    I actually am playing lever harp and do not have a teacher – I studied music in college but have only been playing harp a year or so, watching many YouTube tutorials. I love the suggestion of recording myself!

    I have Sylvia Wood’s book, I’ll be playing her arrangement of the bridal march. I’ll check out Wedding Music for the Lever Harp, thank you!

    in reply to: My First Wedding #230941
    Molly K
    Participant

    Thank you for getting my thinking started! It’s protestant, in a church, quite traditional. She did ask for traditional songs to be played during the bridesmaid walk/her mother’s walk/and then her entrance. I’ll talk to her about prelude music – of course it should have occurred to me that just one song wouldn’t do. Thank you again!

    in reply to: Brilliant Harpsicle thoughts? #230768
    Molly K
    Participant

    Thank you Biagio! I assumed with the similarities in price, they were mostly on par quality wise. I like the look of the Ravenna much more though.

    in reply to: Piezo microphone pick ups for lever harp #230767
    Molly K
    Participant

    https://www.fishman.com/products/series/sbt/sbt-hp-soundboard-transducer-for-harp-piano/

    I have purchased this pickup for using on my new mikel 38, which has yet to arrive. It’s only 99$ and the reviews are good. I’ll let you know more when I can get it set up 🙂

    in reply to: Brilliant Harpsicle thoughts? #230607
    Molly K
    Participant

    I bet! I have a flatsicle (currently my only harp) and I do love the portability, but I would really like a bigger range as well. I may have to get one before next summer and park season!

    in reply to: Brilliant Harpsicle thoughts? #230577
    Molly K
    Participant

    It seems like a hybrid of their harpsicle line with their more expensive floor harps.

    Thank you for the review picacholar! I am in the process of purchasing a large Mikel floor harp, but I’d love a lightweight full range one in the future.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)