Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Eileen Mason
ParticipantI don’t want to sound harsh, however I believe that this needed to be a part of research prior to purchasing an instrument. No one has said that playing the harp was an inexpensive choice. Using one’s instructor as your string supplier isn’t fair to him/her. Part of being a harpist is learning to be responsible for all facets of maintenance and performance. If your daughter is too young to assume this responsibility, then it is necessary for you to step in and help until she is able to make decisions on her own. There is nothing wrong with working out solutions together – that is part of her education as well.
Whenever I broke a string during a performance I did not need the additional stress of having to figure out which string would be appropriate. I needed to note which was the broken string, go to my string bag, select it and put it on.
Whenever someone has asked me about the maintenance aspect of playing the harp, I make a comparison to taking care of a car. Both are mechanical beings, both need “oil changes”. As I was growing up there were so many things I didn’t know, but you have much more information available. I encourage you to make use of all sources including harp technicians.
Good luck!!! -
AuthorPosts