Carolyn DUrso

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Help — My Harp Just Exploded! #71223
    Carolyn DUrso
    Participant

    Why wouldn’t I need to replace the soundboard, Barbara?

    (I did try to contact you via your email addy, but it bounced back.)

    in reply to: Lyon & Healy – Repair Service After My Harp “Exploded” #71250
    Carolyn DUrso
    Participant

    Upon close inspection of the screws holding the soundboard onto the sound-box (as a result of Carl’s insight from another thread on this subject), it appears that they were countersunk too far, leaving inadequate strength for holding the soundboard down.

    in reply to: Help — My Harp Just Exploded! #71222
    Carolyn DUrso
    Participant

    I can’t tell how long the screws are, Carl, but after reading your note about countersinking, I checked into how far they’re countersunk, and they’re almost flush with the wood on the sound-box. If they were countersunk that far, they would have hardly any wood to hold onto above them, wouldn’t they?

    in reply to: Lyon & Healy – Repair Service After My Harp “Exploded” #71249
    Carolyn DUrso
    Participant

    Since L&H doesn’t make my style harp anymore, I’d have to upgrade at a cost of several thousand dollars. I can’t even afford the price of them repairing it, much less buying a new one.

    I love my harp and am devestated that it ruptured.

    in reply to: Help — My Harp Just Exploded! #71221
    Carolyn DUrso
    Participant

    Thank you, everyone, for your comments and interest. I’ve decided to continue this subject under a new thread, “Lyon & Healy Repair Service After My Harp ‘Exploded'” — I hope you’ll join me there with your helpful input.

    in reply to: Help — My Harp Just Exploded! #71201
    Carolyn DUrso
    Participant

    That was a dumb question I posed regarding homeowners insurance — I guess I’m still over-emoting about my harp.

    in reply to: Help — My Harp Just Exploded! #71199
    Carolyn DUrso
    Participant

    It’s definitely the soundboard — I can fit my fingers through from the back. The screws are still attached to the soundbox (every two inches), but the soundboard and 1/2″ wide strip are ripped away from the screws all the way down the side.

    I’ve been corresponding with Lyon & Healy (sending photos, etc.) and they say that they’ll glue the two 2″ tears in the soundboard and repair/replace the the strip, rescrewing it all again — for $2200 (not including shipping to and from Chicago)!

    I checked, and my harp is 10 years old (not 13), and was purchased directly from L & H.

    Does my homeowner’s insurance cover any of this, do you think?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)