carl-swanson

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,351 through 1,365 (of 2,364 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are your goals? #84173
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    That’s really nice Kreig. I hope you have a lot of fun with the instrument. Maybe you should try renting a pedal harp for a while to see if it’s something that you really want to do.

    in reply to: What are your goals? #84886
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    That’s really nice Kreig. I hope you have a lot of fun with the instrument. Maybe you should try renting a pedal harp for a while to see if it’s something that you really want to do.

    in reply to: What are your goals? #85396
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    That’s really nice Kreig. I hope you have a lot of fun with the instrument. Maybe you should try renting a pedal harp for a while to see if it’s something that you really want to do.

    in reply to: ? for Carl on light tension strings #74960
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Kathy- That’s an intriguing question. The answer is: I don’t know what it will sound like. It certainly won’t hurt the instrument. Give it a shot and let us know what you find. If you don’t like the results you can just change back to standard gauge. My guess is that the instrument will sound better.

    in reply to: Etudes Sequence #84221
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Elinor- I think the ideal teacher would take a student through a whole set of etudes at a given technical level(the Bochsa op. 318 as an example) and do all of the etudes in that collection, one at a time. The result will be a well rounded technique at that level, without gaping holes in the technique. Each student is going to find that some of the etudes are easier than others, depending on the particular skills of the student. So the teacher will probably find that one etude may take only a week to perfect, while another will take 3 weeks, all of this depending on the particular student. I don’t think it’s a good idea for any teacher to cherry-pick etudes from a collection, assuming that the student doesn’t need the others. I certainly wouldn’t do that. Let me give you an example.

    About 12 years ago a professional harpist that I know well asked me to overhaul her technique. Mind you, she had been playing professionally, doing lots of orchestra work, for about 20 years at that time. I asked her why she wanted to do this. “I feel like I’m always on the edge of catastrophe every time I play. That I’m barely in control.”

    To make a long story short(and I’m leaving out a lot here) she started lessons with me, I made huge changes in her basic hand position and finger motion, and on the advice of a harp teacher I respect enormously, took this woman through the Bochsa Op. 318, the 40 easy etudes. She could sight read them up to tempo. But of course that was not the point. It was to use the fingers, hands and arms in a correct way that would work at an advanced level.

    We started on the first etude and then progressed one or two weeks at a time through each of the etudes, in the order that they are printed. When we got to etude number 7, I looked at it for a moment and decided to skip it. It’s all 8 note chords in half notes, and it’s slow. I just didn’t think there was anything there that she needed. She asked me what I was thinking and I told her. Then I asked her to play a little of it. As soon as she started I almost shouted “That’s not how you play it!” We spent 3 weeks on that etude and she learned an enormous amount about placing in sequence and placing at the moment that you pluck the string and not a moment before. So I learned never to skip an etude in a collection. If it’s not really necessary for a particular student, then they will learn it really fast and then you move on to the next one.

    in reply to: Etudes Sequence #84934
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Elinor- I think the ideal teacher would take a student through a whole set of etudes at a given technical level(the Bochsa op. 318 as an example) and do all of the etudes in that collection, one at a time. The result will be a well rounded technique at that level, without gaping holes in the technique. Each student is going to find that some of the etudes are easier than others, depending on the particular skills of the student. So the teacher will probably find that one etude may take only a week to perfect, while another will take 3 weeks, all of this depending on the particular student. I don’t think it’s a good idea for any teacher to cherry-pick etudes from a collection, assuming that the student doesn’t need the others. I certainly wouldn’t do that. Let me give you an example.

    About 12 years ago a professional harpist that I know well asked me to overhaul her technique. Mind you, she had been playing professionally, doing lots of orchestra work, for about 20 years at that time. I asked her why she wanted to do this. “I feel like I’m always on the edge of catastrophe every time I play. That I’m barely in control.”

    To make a long story short(and I’m leaving out a lot here) she started lessons with me, I made huge changes in her basic hand position and finger motion, and on the advice of a harp teacher I respect enormously, took this woman through the Bochsa Op. 318, the 40 easy etudes. She could sight read them up to tempo. But of course that was not the point. It was to use the fingers, hands and arms in a correct way that would work at an advanced level.

    We started on the first etude and then progressed one or two weeks at a time through each of the etudes, in the order that they are printed. When we got to etude number 7, I looked at it for a moment and decided to skip it. It’s all 8 note chords in half notes, and it’s slow. I just didn’t think there was anything there that she needed. She asked me what I was thinking and I told her. Then I asked her to play a little of it. As soon as she started I almost shouted “That’s not how you play it!” We spent 3 weeks on that etude and she learned an enormous amount about placing in sequence and placing at the moment that you pluck the string and not a moment before. So I learned never to skip an etude in a collection. If it’s not really necessary for a particular student, then they will learn it really fast and then you move on to the next one.

    in reply to: Etudes Sequence #85444
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Elinor- I think the ideal teacher would take a student through a whole set of etudes at a given technical level(the Bochsa op. 318 as an example) and do all of the etudes in that collection, one at a time. The result will be a well rounded technique at that level, without gaping holes in the technique. Each student is going to find that some of the etudes are easier than others, depending on the particular skills of the student. So the teacher will probably find that one etude may take only a week to perfect, while another will take 3 weeks, all of this depending on the particular student. I don’t think it’s a good idea for any teacher to cherry-pick etudes from a collection, assuming that the student doesn’t need the others. I certainly wouldn’t do that. Let me give you an example.

    About 12 years ago a professional harpist that I know well asked me to overhaul her technique. Mind you, she had been playing professionally, doing lots of orchestra work, for about 20 years at that time. I asked her why she wanted to do this. “I feel like I’m always on the edge of catastrophe every time I play. That I’m barely in control.”

    To make a long story short(and I’m leaving out a lot here) she started lessons with me, I made huge changes in her basic hand position and finger motion, and on the advice of a harp teacher I respect enormously, took this woman through the Bochsa Op. 318, the 40 easy etudes. She could sight read them up to tempo. But of course that was not the point. It was to use the fingers, hands and arms in a correct way that would work at an advanced level.

    We started on the first etude and then progressed one or two weeks at a time through each of the etudes, in the order that they are printed. When we got to etude number 7, I looked at it for a moment and decided to skip it. It’s all 8 note chords in half notes, and it’s slow. I just didn’t think there was anything there that she needed. She asked me what I was thinking and I told her. Then I asked her to play a little of it. As soon as she started I almost shouted “That’s not how you play it!” We spent 3 weeks on that etude and she learned an enormous amount about placing in sequence and placing at the moment that you pluck the string and not a moment before. So I learned never to skip an etude in a collection. If it’s not really necessary for a particular student, then they will learn it really fast and then you move on to the next one.

    in reply to: Have Harp Can’t Travel #108761
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Dorothy Remsen was one of the three great Hollywood studio harpists, the others being Catherine Gotthofer and Ann Stockton. Dorothy can be heard on countless movie soundtracks.

    in reply to: Tournier – 2nd Sonatine #150970
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Do you know of any recordings of his Quintet(I think that’s what it is)?

    in reply to: Tournier – 2nd Sonatine #150969
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Elizabeth- The only recording I know is one by Alice Giles. I’ve listened to it a few times. But that sonata is just not as good as Tournier’s First Sonatine. I’ll have to listen to it again(the second sonatine).

    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Sandra- I’d have to see it to give an accurate opinion as to what’s going on. How old is the harp? And is there any way of finding out what kind of finish is on the cracked area now? Is it an epoxy finish? Salvi used that kind of finish for a while, but it tended to fracture and was absolutely unrepairable so they changed to something else.

    Regardless of the temperature or humidity, if you were sitting in bright sun, then maybe that side of the harp really heated up, causing the problem.

    in reply to: How close? #159632
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I guess it depends on the size of the room as to which setting you put it on. Try medium with the humidifier near the harp and see how that works out.

    in reply to: How close? #159630
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    What kind of humidifier is it? Does it put out a visible vapor or steam? If the air coming out of it is completely invisible, then you can and should put it as close to the harp as is convenient. That kind of humidifier will not cause any damage. But if there is a visible vapor, that should be further away.

    in reply to: We can help a fellow harpist win an award!!! #150928
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Thanks Phoebe. Maybe some of us can contact our harp chapters and have them send out an email to members. I’m going to try that today for the Boston Chapter.

    in reply to: We can help a fellow harpist win an award!!! #150926
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Elizabeth- I had the same problem. Don’t know why. Hopefully it recorded our votes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,351 through 1,365 (of 2,364 total)