Barbara

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: When a string breaks during performance #201374
    Barbara
    Participant

    Im echoing other people on some of this, but you can try stretching the new string before you put it on, and you can also try stretching it once it’s on. Depending on the repertoire and setting, avoiding that string can be a good option…especially if you like to fly by the seat of your pants.

    in reply to: Improve a Pakistani harp? #201371
    Barbara
    Participant

    Jaque- thank you for sharing that Facebook Group!

    I’ve had a few students with cardboard harps, and I’ve found them to be sweet little harps. There are at least two different providers (Waring and Backyard Music), and the harps are available in different stages of completion. If you’re really handy, there’s also a book all about making cardboard instruments. Jaque also recommended some other good resources and harps as well. You might also want to look into Marini harps.

    Do what you feel best about, and enjoy your harp adventure!

    in reply to: Sore fingers #201370
    Barbara
    Participant

    Oh thank you guys for those tips! Another is to stay hydrated. 🙂 Happy (or harpy!) practicing!

    in reply to: Harp for playing around a campfire? #199796
    Barbara
    Participant

    I also suggest looking into the little cardboard harps. I have two students with them, and they are really sweet little harps! You can purchase kits in varying levels of completion (I think), as well as fully made, if that’s something you’d be interested in.

    in reply to: Thoughts? 44 string pedal not having low E, D, C #199793
    Barbara
    Participant

    Oops! If guess I just read the first page. Congrats on your harp!

    in reply to: Thoughts? 44 string pedal not having low E, D, C #199792
    Barbara
    Participant

    Hi Karen! My advice is to just work around the “missing” string. Adaptability is a wonderful thing. 😀 I have a Clio, and I really like It! If you get the electro-acoustic, it’s really fun to play plugged in too. It’s also quite lightweight. However, it’s your purchase, so you should get what you Want! Happy harp shopping! And please keep us updated on your final choice!

    Barbara
    Participant

    One of the great things about older adult students is that they are usually taking lessons because they want to, which leads to a motivation to practice! I think a lot of how to deal with it depends on the student’s goals. If you periodically talk to your student about his/her goals, you can tailor their lessons to those. I usually use Sylvia Woods’ Teach Yourself To Play the Folk Harp for a technique book. One idea is to use the fake books with the big notes (like these), which can be easier to see as well….plus they’re really fun to play out of! 🙂 You can also use these to work on theory, as a break for fatigue. Remember to encourage your student to have fun!

    in reply to: Adult WON’T trim her fingernails #191283
    Barbara
    Participant

    Janis — I think you have a great point. As irritating as it can be when students don’t seem to listen, I bet it will work itself out one way or the other.

    in reply to: Hello! New Harpist #191282
    Barbara
    Participant

    You should totally jam with other musicians! I’d actually like to do more of it. Let your harp playing be fun and limitless! 🙂

    in reply to: Looking for support on adult learning and on buying a harp #191281
    Barbara
    Participant

    Hello Prajna! How exciting that you’re starting to play the harp! From my experiences teaching very young and more “mature” students, I have found that the different ages have great things to bring to the table. One thing about adult students is that they tend to be learning to play an instrument because they want to, which is great! Remember to have fun with it!

    in reply to: Making lessons fun for young students #191280
    Barbara
    Participant

    How cool that you have your students learn conducting patterns! It’s a great “off the bench” activity. You’ve inspired me to use it with more of my students. 🙂

    in reply to: Making lessons fun for young students #190666
    Barbara
    Participant

    Hi Eliza,

    To echo other posts, breaking up the lesson can be really helpful. Some ideas are teaching conducting patterns, having the student copy a beat by stomping it, and making music note shapes with his/her body (I got that idea somewhere on the internet). All of these can be done standing/away from the instrument.

    You can also check Pianimation.com, ColorInMyPiano.com, and Pinterest for ideas (I linked to one of my music boards). A book you might be interested in is Making Harp Lessons Exciting for Young Children, written by my mom. 🙂

    Hope this helps! Keep us updated please!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)