Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIf you go to Jemima Phillips’s website:
http://www.jemimaphillips.co.uk/
and click on Memorable Occasions, there are two photos of her playing this harp.
(Sorry, annoying flash site so I can’t link directly to photos.)
barbara-brundage
ParticipantWasn’t Jemima Phillips the harpist when Salvi did the harp, incidentally?
barbara-brundage
ParticipantWell, Saul, according to all the articles it is that harp. Why do you think it’s not?
barbara-brundage
ParticipantOops that link doesn’t work well. Here’s an article that doesn’t have such a full view of the harp but does have more info about it:
http://www.itv.com/news/royal-wedding/latest-news/harpist-to-greet-guests-99929/
barbara-brundage
ParticipantI couldn’t find the video you meant, but do you mean this harp?
It was made by Salvi for Prince Charles a few years ago.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThanks, Carl. I couldn’t remember all the details, but years ago I used to have a 21 with serial number 590-something, and I remembered that when I spoke to L&H about it Natalie said that the harp with that serial number in their records was a 23, so I must have the first one, which was one of the ones in the 1899 catalog list of purchasers.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIt’s a bit high for a troub that old that’s not in excellent shape, in this current market. As an example, a student of mine recently got an almost-new Pratt (more like a prelude) for 2K.
In your situation, I’d consider the fact that many harp shops will give you the full value of a new lever harp you buy from them on a trade up to a pedal harp if you buy it from them.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantYes, you can still get the catalog reprint:
barbara-brundage
ParticipantYes, L&H offers restoration services. So does Carl.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantOh, and also, just FYI, those seven things at the bottom are pedals, not levers. You have a pedal harp. Pedals you work with your feet so they’re down at the base of the harp. Levers you flip with your hands and they’re on strings at the top of the harp.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantI don’t know why my edits didn’t show. I meant to say ‘from the 1890s and also from the teens.’
Anyway, if you have the first harp with the 550 serial number, that’s a style 21 which was sold to Miss Clara Thurston of Chicago, according to the L&H 1899 harp catalog. (It used to be available as a reprint; not sure if it still is.) There’s a swell photo of Miss Thurston and her harp and a testimonial from her on page 84.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantYes, but I think there are two sets of harps with 500 serial numbers, aren’t there, Carl? Didn’t they start over again at 500 after one of the early fires, so that there are harps from the early 1900s and also harps from the teens with those same numbers?
barbara-brundage
Participantgot a photo and a serial number? The serial number will be on the action plate on an older harp.
barbara-brundage
Participant>You can’t control the bad behavior of other harpists and their lack of professional ethics, but you can control how you play and do business.
Play beautifully and consistently and good work will find you!Very wise words, Laura!
-
AuthorPosts