balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,141 through 1,155 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Double-strung Harp saga: redux #196303
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, again, Allison,

    Well, I just now got back to the computer, and was DELIGHTED to find your new video of you playing your new double-strung!  You did a beautiful job finishing the harp AND playing it!  Thanks for posting this.  I, too, hope that Mae sees this and is encouraged to post a video of her new harp so we all can hear and enjoy it.  I have been asked by several to post one of my new Dusty FH36S in cherry, “Cherie,” but I do not have the technology to do that.  Maybe one of our friends can help me do that some time!  I played the Dusty in church today and everyone loved it.

    Best of luck with the new harp,

    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Double-strung Harp saga: redux #196244
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    That is a nice new photo of you for Harp Column, Allison–way to go!

    in reply to: Double-strung Harp saga: redux #196243
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks also to you, Allison!  I will certainly be looking forward to the sound sample!  I do hope that Mae is reading this, hint, hint, ha, ha!  It would be nice to hear from her!

    in reply to: Double-strung Harp saga: redux #196233
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Allison, I forgot to say that you and the harp look perfectly at home in that beautiful bed of zinnias!  The decorations on the harp are enhanced by the real flowers!

    in reply to: Double-strung Harp saga: redux #196232
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree with Wil–great pictures!  Also, Biagio, that is a wonderful way to enjoy tuning–wine and more wine, ha, ha!

    Hope all of you have a great day,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Double-strung Harp saga: redux #196206
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Allison, thanks so much for posting all this!  I have been so busy this summer that I have missed so many good blogs on HC, but I’m glad I saw yours.  You and the new harp are both beautiful, like Biagio has already said, ha, ha!  I, too, wish that Mae would let us hear her double.  I hope that she blogs again real soon.  You have done a wonderful job.  Keep on tuning and tuning and tuning!

    Best to all of you,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Practice Paralysis and what it means for the future #196205
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Elizabeth, that was such a sweet mental picture of you playing the harp for your twin babies some 29 years ago!  Harp therapy, indeed!  Did either of them, or both of them, end up playing the harp, or other instruments?

    Best to you,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Practice Paralysis and what it means for the future #195984
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Alyson,

    I also wish you all the best with the outcome of this situation.  How exciting to think of the new baby coming!  Your love for the harp will indeed triumph over all your difficulties, I am sure.  Staying connected with all of us through Harp Column is another benefit, I feel.  Thanks to everyone for all your wise words and for trying to help Alyson.

    Best wishes,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Playing dinner music #195842
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Sylvia and Gretchen, I have played “dinner music” for pay since I was eight years old, and have made a great deal of my living doing it, plus paying for my college education through a Master’s degree.  I enjoy playing it, in the background, and usually connect everything so that there is a constant stream of music flowing.  Occasionally I will bring a piece to a conclusion, and once in a while, people applaud.  One just has to “feel” the audience, and know when to play and when to have a bit of silence.  I also know that when Carol Lynn and I are out dining,  I hate to hear long pauses in background music while musicians are dealing with getting music in place or discussing what to play next–that drives me crazy!  I always play from memory or “by ear” too, with no hassle over finding printed music or worse, playing from an electronic gadget, ha, ha!

    Have a great weekend!

    Balfour

    in reply to: Strings: Variations on a Theme #195722
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    John, I am so glad to hear this!  I hope mine don’t start breaking, now, ha, ha!

    in reply to: Grow Old with Me: Aging-Related Changes #195690
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Elettaria, our hearts and love go out to you!

    A good teacher is very likely to help you find solutions to some of your fatigue problems.  I was thinking about how when your fingers are placed on the harp strings, your arms seem to just “hang” from the strings (David Watkins talked about this).  Try to relax the arms as much as possible, and keep arms and wrists very supple (H. Renie stressed this).  The right hand wrist and arm can rest on the soundboard, French style, and as I get older, I find that the left hand and wrist tends to want to do the same thing when not playing.  Also, when I practice, I try to get up from the harp every 20 minutes and just walk around for about 5 minutes before returning to the harp.

    Of course, performing  sometimes requires 30 minutes or longer without being able to get up from the harp, particularly pre-service Preludes for weddings and funerals.  I also have really had to pay attention to this fact during concerts, devising times to break up the program with a “history lesson” for the audience, or better yet, letting my sweet wife do these “interludes” in the programs.

    Keep on practicing and playing the harps, friends!  This is our best therapy, I know!

    Best wishes,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Strings: Variations on a Theme #195689
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Emma, that has been exactly my experience with all my different harps through the years.  I know that we ARE very lucky, indeed, as I read of all the problems folks have had with breaking strings.

    My L&H pedal harp has only broken one or two gut strings in between string changes (every three years for me). I have never had a broken nylon or wire on my pedal harps.  My lever harps have been the same, Ravenna only had two broken nylon strings during the four years I had her, and my Large Gothic from Musicmakers never broke any strings in between changing all the strings every three years.  I have owned my Dusty FH36S now for almost eight months, and no broken strings.

    Venus harps use Sterling brand strings.  Does anyone have experience with these?

    Happy Fathers’ Day, all you guys!

    Harp Hugs,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Grow Old with Me: Aging-Related Changes #195652
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Yes, Margaret, I agree with friend John, “You are an inspiration!”  Your post was very touching, and proves once again what we already know about the “magic” of the harp.

    Concerning food, though, I always play the harp better after eating chocolate, ha, ha!  My choir members bring it to me on a regular basis, and when my lovely wife and I do the music for conferences, the other ladies indulge me with chocolate once they find out I love it.  This makes for a lot of fun in addition to playing the harp! 🙂

    You folks have a great day!

    Lovingly,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Strings: Variations on a Theme #195418
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    John, that looks real good!  I have done that with piano strings, but forgot that one can do the same with harp strings, only easier!  Thanks for reminding us, Carl.

    Best wishes,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Bach fugues for the harp? #195404
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Tacye and Adolfo!

     

     

     

     

Viewing 15 posts - 1,141 through 1,155 (of 1,492 total)