Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
balfour-knight
ParticipantHello Christy and Gregg!
Sorry I came on to this a bit late, but Gregg has provided excellent advice. I was going to suggest the Prelude myself. It has that warm, pedal harp sound that you talked about, Christy. I own a Dusty FH36S in figured cherry, my “Cherie,” that also has that gorgeous warm sound, but it is brighter than a Prelude. Mine is strung in nylon, not lever gut. Dusty also makes the Boulevard, that looks like a Ravenna, but with pedal harp gut strings and tension. I have played all of those and can heartily recommend them. My wonderful concert grand pedal harp is a Camac Atlantide Prestige, “Angelica,” and it is my very favorite harp of all time, as readers here will attest to–I brag on it enough, ha, ha!
I wish you the best in your search, Christy, and it is so exciting that you and your 6-year-old daughter both want to play the harp! By the way, I agree, she could sit on a little higher stool at her age, and reach the harp fine.
Harp Hugs,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantCamacs come with a 10-year warranty. Most harp techs work on them, but you can do most of the regulation yourself, if you are good with your hands. There is a tool kit and instruction manual provided with each harp. You can find information on Camac Harps’ main website, or try Pacific-Atlantic Harps in CA–Carolyn Sykes has many helpful things posted there. You can also ask the Va. Harp Center, which is where you are thinking about going anyway, and they have a new website, also. I have not had time to look for Camac information there, but you can if you like.
Hope this helps.
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantHi Nicbo!
Did you ever decide on the finish? It is so exciting to order a new harp!
Best to you,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantHi again, friends! Thanks, Gretchen and Gregg. That #100 harp and most of the other used harps at the Va. Harp Center are probably there on consignment. The seller/sellers have been known to negotiate with potential buyers, and I frequently see a reduction in price noted for a particular harp, after it has been there for a while. If you try the #100 out in person, you can see if you think it is worth the asking price. If it does not appear to be, you could offer less and see if they would accept that. I think I would like to see a transport cover set added, for that list price, if it were up to me. Did you see the Camac Athena, for about the same price? It may be gone now, since it said “sale pending.” You can look at everything they have, including the new harps, if you actually go there, and you might find a totally different harp than the one you had in mind! A friend of ours just did that with a new (used) car–she had her heart set on a black one, and came back with a white one–big surprise, ha, ha!
Have a great day,
Balfour and Carol Lynnbalfour-knight
ParticipantThanks so much for your reply, Harp57. Yes, my sweet wife and I think that it would be a very good idea for you to see, play, and “test drive” this Style 100 in person, if at all possible. Everyone has their own taste in a musical instrument, and all harps are different from each other, even the same model. If you actually can drive, or can be driven, to the Virginia Harp Center, you could get your harp and take it home with you, rather than chance having it shipped. I have known folks who rented a car or van to do this, too, if driving your own car is not an option. We trust the wonderful owners and staff of the Virginia Harp Center to do the right thing, when someone buys a harp from them, so you will be in good hands.
Harp Hugs from both of us,
Balfour and Carol Lynnbalfour-knight
ParticipantI had a lovely Ravenna 34 for about 5 years before I bought my “Cherie,” the Dusty FH36S, in cherry. She IS a dream harp! The only other harp I own now is my other dream harp, a Camac Atlantide Prestige in tiger maple that I named “Angelica.” I am most richly blessed.
Harp Hugs,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantThat Rees double-strung Morgan Meadow is the ONLY double-strung harp I have ever played! I tried that model back in 2015 in Asheville, NC at the Southeastern Harp Festival. It was a lovely little harp, if you like double-strung harps. I am completely happy with my single-strung Dusty FH36S, of course! The Rees team of harp makers are very nice folks. From what I hear, their customer service is exceptional, too.
Cheers,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantI agree with Gretchen! The Salvi Symphony harp advertised above in Gretchen’s link for $7k is well-priced and was serviced by Peter Wiley, nothing to hide. I think instead of $10k, the Salvi Orchestra should be $5k up to $7k, like Gretchen said. By the way, does this harp have an extended soundboard? They cost more than straight soundboard harps, of course. The only Salvi Orchestra I can find in an old Salvi catalog has a straight soundboard. This is certainly something to check on.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantWell, that is sort of hard to explain, but I played a small “harp-like object” that I made when I was not yet a teen-ager, no levers, so I had to retune when I needed something like an F#. I took piano and organ lessons from the time I was 6 years old, on through a Master of Music Degree in college, with harp as my third (and favorite) instrument. I had to use the school pedal harp, as we could not afford to buy one in my “early days.” It ended up that I was proficient in these three instruments, even though I did not own a “real harp!” So, I have no idea how long it took me to be good on the harp itself, I just learned it little by little along with piano and organ. I did play “professional, paid gigs” on all three instruments from the time I was eight years old, so I would say a couple of years got me to the point I could make money doing that. I also could transfer what I learned on one instrument to the other two, and did so constantly, only limited by the diatonic nature of the harp, even the pedal harp with its chromatic possibilities. Some pieces are just meant for the chromatic keyboard, ha, ha!
I hope this gives you some idea of the time it actually takes to be “proficient” on an instrument. I also have enjoyed playing “by ear” all my life, and memorize things quickly. If something doesn’t work on my instrument, take harp for example, I figure out a solution to the problem and adapt. I have always learned the big harp pieces on piano first, memorized them, then applied that to playing it on the harp, as I hate to read music at the harp! Looking back-and-forth from the music to the harp strings is distracting, and you don’t have to do that at the keyboard.
The Renie harp method is very complete. I believe that in there, one can find the solution to almost any problem on the harp. You can check out a copy on inter-library loan, for example, to see for yourself. This book is a great technique builder, and there are many examples of great harp literature included in the book.
Best wishes,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantI am a professional harpist, and I am still learning, ha, ha! So, I guess it takes a lifetime and then some. I did learn initially with the great Henriette Renie method, though. I learned to love the French method and also the great French harps, and all the music written for our wonderful instrument by French composers. I hope other folks contribute to this thread!
French harp hugs,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantHello Tinyknit,
This is one for my friend Biagio, here on these forums. I would think that you would indeed be better off buying a Stoney End kit for a double strung, but I am certainly no expert on this. Perhaps Biagio will see this and respond.
Best wishes to you,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantForgive me for being suspicious of the Salvi–it is the fact that it is so old, I guess, and I would feel much better about it if the harp tech gave you a full report. Think of it like buying a used car that old–it would be risky!
balfour-knight
ParticipantSo glad to help, Nicbo. Yes, the natural finish on my Atlantide is gorgeous. It is satin instead of high gloss, which really shows up the beautiful curly maple grain of the wood. I know your new Egerie will be just wonderful–we are so excited for you!
New harp hugs,
Balfour and Carol Lynnbalfour-knight
ParticipantThat is wonderful that you placed your order today, Nicbo! Did you pick walnut or natural? They are both beautiful and will show up the nice wood grain. We know you can’t wait to get your pedal harp!
Best wishes and harp hugs,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantI think it would be a great idea for you to go to the Atlanta or Virginia Harp Center in person to see the harps and really experience them. They will get in more harps as the year progresses. You could check their inventory lists regularly, and get on their email list. They can notify you when they get in a harp that you would be interested in, and they are all very reputable, nice folks. (Tell them I said so, ha, ha!) Yes, buying a used harp can indeed be risky, and that seller should have been given a full report by any reputable harp tech.
I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Balfour -
AuthorPosts