balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: It’s proving impossible to load a response to #335829
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Alison, I hope you got a message to Grace!

    in reply to: Travelling around the UK – easy to find harps? #334655
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello Grace! Alison has been trying to get a response to you for several days. See her topic “It’s proving impossible to load a response…” under RECENT TOPICS. Thanks, Grace. I’m just trying to help here.
    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Performance etiquette – beginner gig #333398
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Keep making beautiful harp music, Molly. Sylvia Woods arrangements might also appeal to you!

    in reply to: Rees levers #333396
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    How is the lever job progressing?

    in reply to: best hand-held tuners #333145
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Carl, apparently, some apps still work when there is no cell-phone reception, depending on the way they are installed. Someone who knows more about this may post something here on this thread, I hope.
    I was wrong about Debussy, but the above quote is substantiated in several sources about Stravinsky!

    Best wishes, everyone,
    Balfour

    in reply to: best hand-held tuners #332194
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Harpists spend 90 percent of their lives tuning their harps and 10 percent playing out of tune.

    Igor Stravinsky

    in reply to: Nylgut Strings by Aquila #331288
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I meant to add that my New Nylgut NGH strings are doing great, since Dec. 24, 2023! I’m so glad I made the change from pedal nylon to Nylgut. The improvement in tone and feel is “awesome,” believe me! Only real gut can compare with Nylgut, but those thin, high gut strings break too often in the top octaves for me.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Nylgut Strings by Aquila #330464
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Sorry the heading above the gauges is not in line with the columns!
    1st column–Aquila New Nylgut codes
    2nd column–New Nylgut gut equivalent/actual gauge
    3rd column–nylon gauges
    4th column–carbon gauges

    in reply to: Nylgut Strings by Aquila #330309
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Finally, I have a chart for converting nylon harp strings to the New Nylgut NGH strings! It even contains carbon gauges. Enjoy!

    AQUILA NEW NYLGUT CODES NEW NYLGUT GUT EQUIVALENT / ACTUAL GAUGE NYLON GAUGES CARBON GAUGES
    36NNG 0.36 mm 0.40 mm 0.30 mm
    38NNG 0.38 mm 0.42 mm 0.32 mm
    40NNG 0.40 mm 0.44 mm 0.34 mm
    42NNG 0.42 mm 0.46 mm 0.36 mm
    44NNG 0.44 mm 0.48 mm 0.375 mm
    46NNG 0.46 mm 0.51 mm 0.39 mm
    48NNG 0.48 mm 0.53 mm 0.41 mm
    50NNG 0.50 mm 0.55 mm 0.43 mm
    52NNG 0.52 mm 0.57 mm 0.44 mm
    54NNG 0.54 mm 0.59 mm 0.46 mm
    56NNG 0.56 mm 0.62 mm 0.475 mm
    58NNG 0.58 mm 0.64 mm 0.49 mm
    60NNG 0.60 mm 0.66 mm 0.51 mm
    62NNG 0.62 mm 0.68 mm 0.525 mm
    64NNG 0.64 mm 0.70 mm 0.54 mm
    66NNG 0.66 mm 0.73 mm 0.56 mm
    68NNG 0.68 mm 0.75 mm 0.58 mm
    70NNG 0.70 mm 0.77 mm 0.60 mm
    73NNG 0.73 mm 0.80 mm 0.62 mm
    76NNG 0.76 mm 0.84 mm 0.64 mm
    79NNG 0.79 mm 0.88 mm 0.67 mm
    82NNG 0.82 mm 0.91 mm 0.70 mm
    85NNG 0.85 mm 0.94 mm 0.72 mm
    88NNG 0.88 mm 0.97 mm 0.75 mm
    91NNG 0.91 mm 1.00 mm 0.78 mm
    94NNG 0.94 mm 1.04 mm 0.80 mm
    97NNG 0.97 mm 1.07 mm 0.82 mm
    100NNG 1.00 mm 1.11 mm 0.85 mm
    104NNG 1.04 mm 1.15 mm 0.88 mm
    108NNG 1.08 mm 1.20 mm 0.92 mm
    112 NNG 1.12 mm 1.24 mm 0.95 mm

    in reply to: Performance etiquette – beginner gig #330065
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Molly, so glad it went well! You may want to check the website of Simply the Harp, my friend, Angi Bemiss, in Atlanta, GA. My few easy and intermediate arrangements for lever harp are there, along with an incredible amount of songs arranged by Angi to add to your repertoire, in simple yet effective arrangements, with very few lever changes. My simple “Essence of the Swan” requires no lever changes, and was a best-seller when we first published it. Angi is a warm, talented delightful person, who would love to help you build your repertoire!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: best hand-held tuners #329810
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Carl, all I know is that when I don’t have cell phone service, nothing works on my phone. All of those “extras” like apps seem to be not really in the phone itself, but “in the cloud.” If someone knows more about this, feel free to respond!

    I love “us old folks,” ha, ha! I remember back in the early days of my pedal harp experience in college, how delighted we were to find your book on harp maintenance and regulating!

    I believe that Debussy may be credited with saying “harpists spend half their life tuning, and the other half playing out of tune!” We are having cold, damp rainy weather here, which raises the humidity above 60%, so we are using the dehumidifiers right now. The harps are not content, ha, ha! Sometimes I just play on them out-of-tune until the damp period is over. At least my fingers get a workout, if it is not too hard on my “perfect pitch,” ha, ha!

    Best to all of you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: best hand-held tuners #329773
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Ha, Ha, Gretchen! Indeed, I have really missed your posts on HC forums! Hope all is well with you.

    In this rural area of western North Carolina where we live, in the mountains, cell-phone reception can be very spotty, with miles of “no service.” Where these sweet young brides want to get married, 40 miles from “nowhere,” and “out in the sticks,” there is often no cell-phone service, so we traveling musicians have had to rely on battery-powered Korg tuners which work anywhere. I tune mostly by ear anyway, and only use the Korg to establish A=440 for the benefit of playing with other musicians, such as violin and flute. (Formerly, a tuning fork sufficed!)

    Anyway, thanks for “shaking up the thinking” on this thread. My C flats and also my F flats are doing quite well, especially since I have to tune my pedal harp in C flat, ha, ha! (No such thing on the lever harp tuned in C, you know! A C flat has to be a B natural, like on the piano!)

    Harp Hugs everyone,
    Balfour

    in reply to: best hand-held tuners #329206
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Carl, so glad to hear all of that. I have stretched the octaves on my harps as long as I have been tuning them, for many years, since I was 8 years old, learning to tune my first little 29-string harp by ear. When I was 15 and complaining to my dad about “we need to have the PIANO tuned more frequently,” he told me that I could learn to do it, so I apprenticed with our elderly, faithful piano tuner. He did it the old-fashioned way, listening to 4ths and 5ths, getting a good temperament, so I learned it the same way. I’m so glad that the modern phone apps can stretch the octaves. Isn’t it a fantastic sound?

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: best hand-held tuners #327726
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    This was in the initial post by Dancingpiper: ” I know there are a lot of great tuner apps for phones but I don’t do apps on my phone. Are there any suggestions as to what would be a good non-app tuner? Thanks, all!!”
    I am like her, I don’t do apps on my phone, either, but thanks Gretchen! I know a lot of musicians use apps.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Performance etiquette – beginner gig #327723
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Gretchen! Good to see your posts here again.
    Best wishes,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 1,492 total)