The Soka-Nippon International Harp Competition has announced the repertoire for its 34th contest, which will take place Nov. 17–20, 2022, in Soka City, Japan. The competition is open to harpists of all nationalities and is divided into two categories by age with a total of ¥350,000 in prizes. Applications must be submitted between Sept. 1 and Sept. 30, 2022.
Organized by the Nippon Harp Association and the Soka City Cultural Association, the Soka-Nippon International Harp Competition aims to promote harp music in Japan and foster young harpists. The competition has been held annually in cooperation with Soka City since 1989. First-prize winners of both divisions will receive the Soka City Mayor’s Award trophy and will perform at the Soka International Harp Festival 2022 on Nov. 20.
Advanced division (up to 20 years old on Nov. 17, 2022)
- C. Saint-Saëns: Fantaisie pour harpe, op. 95 (with printed cuts)
Final Stage (maximum duration 20 minutes)
- F. Sasaki: “1. Spring-Vulnerable Dreams” from Resurrection With You for harp
- J. S. Bach/H. Renié: Pièce en Sol
- Free choice piece(s)
Junior division (up to 12 years old on Nov. 17, 2022)
Maximum duration 10 minutes.
- Choose one:
- A. Hasselmans: Sérénade mélancolique, op. 45, from Feuilles d’automne
- B. Andrès: “Gavotte” from Automates
- One free choice piece
For more information, visit the competition website.