Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Help needed…contagious buzz/ringing noise #77586
    Tacye
    Participant

    Hmph… I am still inclined to the thought that they aren’t bending enough at the soundboard and are bouncing off and zinging when you play them. And of course a thinner string will bend less. Do they zing more when you play them pulling along the line of the strings or across?

    How to solve it is the next problem – if it is the cause- and you have tiddly little awkward holes in the soundboard. I would try loosening the string and sliding something into the top of the hole, maybe a bit of card or feather quill…

    in reply to: Dear John Rutter #61999
    Tacye
    Participant

    I am inclined to laziness so my heart sinks when I get a fresh part – usually it is much easier to read a used part or make alterations as needed. And being in the UK that does mean parts with French or German pedals which my feet can read if not too fast… But please – 2B pencils and not dug into the paper!

    in reply to: Interested in playing the Harp – Advice? #77675
    Tacye
    Participant

    The first link is a Pilgrim Clarsach, the second already identified as a Stoney End and the third by MacDonald harps on Skye. Three very different harps!

    Which country are you in? A cheap harp in one place can become very expensive once international shipping is added.

    in reply to: A harp is a harp is a harp . . . #113111
    Tacye
    Participant
    in reply to: Treating a crick in your neck on a performance day #113159
    Tacye
    Participant

    I find rub in ibuprofen seems to help slightly, and my stomach feels safer than taking it orally.

    in reply to: Seating situation during symphony performance #62734
    Tacye
    Participant

    If the questioner did not have a good view could it all be a mistake? I can imagine someone mistaking the harp being put down and so moving forward for the harpist moving back.

    in reply to: Practising while overseas for an audition (Chicago) #113151
    Tacye
    Participant

    Both Lyon and Healy and Venus are based in Chicago. Hopefully one or the other can help you out.

    in reply to: Help!!! How to I thread strings?? #77633
    Tacye
    Participant

    Interesting picture of a new-to-me way to treat a harp, thank you.

    in reply to: Pedal vs Lever dilemma #77656
    Tacye
    Participant

    Personally, I feel that lumping harps together by the mechanism used to get semitones, while a useful shorthand, can be a very poor match for reality. A Teifi Eos (36 strings, concert tension gut) and a Stoney End Eve (22 strings, medium/light tension nylon strings) are both ‘lever’ harps – if the Eve has levers. However, from the point of view of sound and playing technique they are miles apart, and the Teifi is much closer to many pedal harps. Though of course there are harps which make their semitones with a pedal mechanism but are not very like a L&H 23…

    in reply to: ORIGINAL scores of De Cabezon and Rossini? #61970
    Tacye
    Participant

    The Cabezon original was in: Libro de Cifra Nueva para Tecla, Arpa y Vihuela – which is written in ‘Cifra Nueva’ rather than familiar stave notation. But the book tells you how to read it. Page 70 of the 2nd scan or 139 of the 1st.

    http://imslp.org/wiki/Libro_de_cifra_nueva_%28Venegas_de_Henestrosa,_Luis%29

    in reply to: Help!!! How to I thread strings?? #77629
    Tacye
    Participant

    I am intrigued – when you have time could you post a picture of the closed back?

    in reply to: Help!!! How to I thread strings?? #77626
    Tacye
    Participant

    The other way in would be to remove the base of the harp and move the pedals asside just enought to slip in.

    in reply to: Help!!! How to I thread strings?? #77624
    Tacye
    Participant

    I think there should be room for all gut strings with pegs to go in from the top – unless your strings are too thick or your knots too large. Wires I am not sure about – I have seen old wires with knots on the end, rather than premade ends so presumably you put them through from the front, fished the end round the door, threaded whatever washers you wanted, tied the knot and then pulled it back carefully. Which is a convenient way of changing strings even when you can get your hand inside.

    However, if you have strings with pre-made ends then maybe you will need to get a narrow silicon tube or something you can thread from the front and then use to pull the string through? Or cut the premade end off if you have enough length? But I am improvising wildly here!

    in reply to: Pedal vs Lever dilemma #77650
    Tacye
    Participant

    I am very impressed with the Teifi Eos as a lever harp with a pedal harp feel and sound.

    in reply to: Protecting your hands #113119
    Tacye
    Participant

    I am sure you could hold a racket wearing gloves – fencing gloves might be worth considering – some protection to the back and not too slippy palms, but leather gardening gloves might be easier to get hold of and are worth trying. Or motorbike gloves – especially racing ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,469 total)