Sharon Gilbert

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Craig Pierpont’s Another Era 36 String French Style Harp #252942
    Sharon Gilbert
    Participant

    Biago,

    It really does sound like one takes a chance ordering a harp without being able to play the actual harp itself. However, I wonder if a beginner, such as me, would really notice the difference between harps from the same model? Maybe even between models!? Mr. Pierpont told me his models sound the same due to a similar construction process.

    Also, I see the Thormahalen site has a nice discussion on strings. Can I infer that on the same harp model switching from nylon to folk gut to concert gut, the sound would tend from brightest to warmest? Where does fluorocarbon tend to lie in the range? The brightest? Brighter than nylon?

    I am also not clear with respect to tension. I have listened to Josh Layne’s video introducing his Camac Excalibur and he describes the tension of fluorocarbon to be tighter than nylon but the Thormahalen sight indicates flourocarbon tension is lighter than nylon. I think Thormahalen says flourocarbon has very light tension and nylon has medium tension. Would they be using the word “tension” in the same way? Can a maker influence the tension so it is maker dependent??

    Any comments appreciated.

    Thanks again.

    in reply to: Craig Pierpont’s Another Era 36 String French Style Harp #252929
    Sharon Gilbert
    Participant

    Jsmoir,

    Thank you for your reply.

    I think Mr. Pierpont’s work looks absolutely lovely. What should count is the sound but honestly looks are important to me too. Unfortunately due to my own travel limitations, and moreover, covid, I cannot travel to his shop.

    I have had some correspondence with Mr. Pierpont and have received some sound files. I shared the sound files with my teacher and she thought that they may have been done in a studio making it difficult to judge. Hence, I am looking for information, especially related to sound. For example, how warm is the French harp and how the sound changes with nylon vs gut vs flourocarbon. I am looking for a harp more on the warm side.

    As a beginner harp player I have, with the help of forums such as this, came to the question, if each harp is different how can one really buy a harp without touching and playing the specific harp. If this is not an option, I guess one narrows down the choices and then takes a leap of faith?? My harp teacher tells me that I will fall in love with whatever I choose. And as others have noted elsewhere here, it appears harp players never end up with just one harp!

    Any comments appreciated.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)