Sebastian

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Pedal Rods – Specific Material Question #283371
    Sebastian
    Participant

    Hi Carl-Swanson,
    Thank you for your prompt reply.
    It’s a about 40 years old Style23 and it has a No.4 – 48 UNF threading. I know the newer models of L&H and Salvi have metric M3 (3mm diameter (3/32 Inch) – a little bit more than US 14/125inch UNF threadings – easier for Europeans 😉 ).

    I couldn’t re-use the old rod – it broke exactly at the transition from the thread to the solid material.
    Getting the rest out of the coupler wasn’t a problem – a slotted screw was milled with a Dremel, then you could just unscrew it.

    Ordering the rod from L&H is not the problem. The nearest L&H Technical Guild member is approximately 300km/186mi away. In most cases, another service call must be on the way for the technician to be able to schedule such a repair. Then there are the travel costs, which are almost the same amount, in addition to the service flat rate.
    That’s why I’d like to be more flexible and (if necessary) be able to trim the rods myself. I know several harpists around here – they all know the problem.
    Of course I could also order the pedal rods from L&H, I’m only interested in the material itself.

    Thanks for the tip about the Rockwell scale.
    However, HRC 18 is even closer to the tensile strength of stainless steel (AISI 304: 18 HRC ~ 212 HB ~ 714 N/mm2). Plain steel (AISI 1020) as a non-hard material has a property of 350 N/mm2 ~ 105 HB ~ not even on the Rockwell scale. The flexural rigidity is similar.
    Unfortunately, the technician from L&H couldn’t tell me what material the rod is made of either.
    If you compare the selling price of a new pole with the material value, I would be interested in the secret of the material. 😉
    I’ll do more research and post the result here in the forum if there are other DIY’er out there.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)