Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
randal
ParticipantThanks very much for all the suggestions
I looked at all the US makers…unfortunately my budget is severely limited, and this could likely
randal
ParticipantThanks Rod
randal
ParticipantThank you Kay–yes I’m kinda bad that way…I never saw a musical instrument that didn’t captivate my imagination and compel me to try to learn it. Funny–all the times I considered taking up harp (beginning at lesst 20 yesrs ago!) I justified avoiding it because I didn’t want to take on yet another new system…now, I can’t recall how many instruments I’ve learned in the interim. But, I always had the nylon string guitar impeding me, I think, which feels to me enough commonality with harp that I didn’t want to do both. So, I’ve been in the “contemplation” stage of harping for a very long time–which is very unusual for me as I typically assuage any compulsion for musical curiosity by diving right in when the inspiration is there.
Harp is a bit unique, I think, in that–unlike most instruments–contemplation or mental imagery can actually translate into productive technical progress on the instrument–as its technique is so straightforward, like a piano. So when I first got the harp in my hands it felt exactly like I’d imagined it and many of the technical elements such as chords, arpeggios, hand positioning, finger placement were natural after a lifetime of nylon string guitar. One challenge of course is bringing along the left hand, but I’m pleased to find this rapidly developing.
Mind you, I’m only playing folk harp–I’m not aspiring to play some of the same repertoire as I did on guitar…Bach, Debussy, Ravel, Satie (lovely as these are on the harp!)
-
AuthorPosts