Gregg Bailey

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 183 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Camac Nylgut vs Artist Nylon? #255516
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    That makes sense, Charles!

    in reply to: Camac Nylgut vs Artist Nylon? #255513
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Hi, Biagio,

    I’m with you! I’m interested in eventually getting a Boulevard as a lightweight pedal-tension harp, but I believe they use the exact same bass wires as in the Ravenna, which makes me wonder if there’s more of a bump in tension in one or the other where the wires start.

    in reply to: Camac Nylgut vs Artist Nylon? #255504
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Thanks, Balfour! What is “Special Nylon for gut-strung harp”? Is it analogous to Artist Nylon? By the way, I really wish there would be a real standard for referring to harp string notes. Numbering the strings from the top creates confusion since there’s so much variation in harp compasses, and it sounds like Camac doesn’t even start counting up from string “1” until the 1E string, which somewhat makes sense. But why are harp octaves defined as E down to F? Why not B down to C, or C up to B? I would prefer that harp strings be named by the more conventional musical octave number where C4 is middle-C, and the bottom C of a concert grand would be C1. I suppose it’s somewhat coincidental that 4C on the harp = C4! I was so confused back when I initially researched what the usual concert grand harp range is, because the information I found cited something like 0G to C7. Coming from my organist background (which I know you are one, as well), I thought that was low-to-high, which made me think that concert grands went down to 32′ G in the bass, especially since in the rest of the music world, G0 would be 32′ G!! Haha! 🙂

    in reply to: Camac Nylgut vs Artist Nylon? #255454
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Thanks for the info, Charles! I didn’t realize that pedal gut is actually thinner than Artist nylon, but I suppose it makes sense! Somehow I thought gut would be thicker, but I suppose I’m confusing that with being more dense. I also didn’t realize that Nylgut isn’t Nylon. In a way, calling it “NylGut” is almost false advertising on 2 counts! Hah!

    in reply to: Camac Nylgut vs Artist Nylon? #255453
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Wil,

    It would be interesting to compare the sound of Artist Nylon vs. Camac Nylgut, even in the top notes!

    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Thanks, Wil! By the way, (and I’m sure you get this a lot), your username always makes me think of the actor Wil Wheaton; is that intentional?

    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Hi, drkatt,

    Forgive me for being nearly 6 years late to this thread, but, did you end up getting a harp, and, if so, what make/model/string type? At present, my only harp experience is with my 2nd-hand L&H Troubadour V, which is strung mostly in pedal-tension nylon with only 5 pedal gut strings (5th octave) per the original factory string diagram. I’m wanting to purchase a much lighter weight harp that still has pedal tension. I’m therefore seriously considering the Boulevard, but I have the same reservations as you cited in your post here in 2015 about not wanting the headache of constantly replacing gut strings. I live in West Texas with chronically-low humidity, and there’s no harp store of which I’m aware in a radius of thousands of miles! I’m curious to know what you ended up getting and how you like it.

    in reply to: Sound of L&H 85 CG’s vs 23’s? #255257
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Hi, Saul,

    Thank you so much for the information! According to the L&H website, the 85 CG and 23 both weigh 81 lbs, but, for whatever reason, the Chicago CG apparently weighs 83 lbs.

    Is there any way to keep the natural wood from yellowing over the years? It seems like many harps in natural wood that aren’t brand-new look more yellow-ochre than blonde, including 23’s and Salzedos. I like the blonde/peach/cream look, not the darker ochre/goldenrod look.

    I know someone who owns a natural 23 with gold crown, and it looks very classy to me. I’ve wondered how a bronze 23 would look with a gold crown.

    in reply to: Help: performance lever screw won’t tighten properly #255252
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Thanks, Balfour!

    in reply to: Sound of L&H 85 CG’s vs 23’s? #255224
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Hi, Philippa,

    Your performance was lovely; thank you for sharing! Your harp sounds gorgeous!

    in reply to: Sound of L&H 85 CG’s vs 23’s? #255202
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Thanks, Karen! Quick question regarding this forum, since I’m new to it. Assuming you’ve selected the follow-up email notifications, do you receive an email every time I edit one of my posts? I sure hope not. Sometimes I edit several times, and I think YouTube is bad about sending an email with every edit.

    in reply to: Sound of L&H 85 CG’s vs 23’s? #255196
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Balfour,

    I recently got a copy of the L&H 1899 catalog facsimile; is it just me, or do the 21 and 22 look considerably more like the modern 23 than the 1899 model 23 does, including the carving (esp the bottom of the column) and crown? It begs the question, what has made a 23 a 23 through the years? In other words, what is still the same in the modern 23 as in the original? If the number of strings, dimensions, soundboard, color, and even carving of the 23 has changed so much over time, can the modern 23 even be considered to be the same harp as the original 23?

    in reply to: Sound of L&H 85 CG’s vs 23’s? #255195
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Hi, Karen,

    Thank you for your replies! I wondered if somehow more went into the 23 beyond the less expensive models than just the ornate carving! And Chiara’s video makes a lot of sense about different harps working better for different periods of repertoire; similarly, as an organist, I don’t care for rendering Baroque organ works on a primarily romantic-style organ, or worse, trying to play romantic works on a very lean Neo-baroque organ, even though it’s often possible, though we organists have to adapt/make do with what we have in any given venue (and maybe avoid certain literature altogether on certain organs)!

    in reply to: Sound of L&H 85 CG’s vs 23’s? #255130
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Hi, Bill,

    Very interesting. I do see on the L&H website that the Style 30 has the same soundboard width as the Salzedo, and I understand that those 2 styles are designed with more power in mind for orchestral use. I’m trying to figure out why the 23 has become so much more popular than the other L&H models. Is it just the look?

    in reply to: Sound of L&H 85 CG’s vs 23’s? #255129
    Gregg Bailey
    Member

    Hi, Balfour,

    It’s funny–it was one of YOUR previous posts that led me to ask this question! It was one in which you indicated that the Style 23 is THE orchestral harp! Why has the 23 become the “gold” standard, pardon the pun? (And have many people made that pun? I imagine so…) 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 183 total)