Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Meredith Thomson
ParticipantBrilliant! Thank you. This is just what I was looking for. I will reach out to Joe and Jason in the future, and and I’ll look up the south Florida AHS. Do you find that you have to regulate more often due to the humidity? I’m so thrilled to be getting back!
Meredith Thomson
ParticipantGretchen, I was on the fence about then to regulate, as well. I planned to do that once the harp was moved and settled in our new place so the only thing that would move is the harp,but you bring up a great point. I’ve already been moved to Florida for a few years now, and my two ideas were:
1. Rent a car, drive up to NJ,swap the car for a pickup or van, load the harp up, and head back down.
2. Have l&h ship it down, as I can get one of the brothers to bring it to VAHC or L&H and they can work their magic and ship down when done.
I’m thinking you might be right to get our regulator out up there, get her back together and any repairs done necessary, then figure out the best way to get her down safely.
In Florida, are there any techs you’d suggest I reach out to in the future once the harp is down here? And do you have other words of caution for older harps living down here? I’m near west palm, so humidity and general wetness are a huge concern of mine. Any thoughts? Thanks again for all your help!!
Meredith Thomson
ParticipantGood evening,
Thank you all for your insight. I agree, I should get a professional opinion on how I should go about retensioning. Right now, all the strings are Vanderbilt, as you suggested Gretchen, and I’d probably go ahead and restring with them as well. As for moving it, Tacye and Catherine, you bring up good points, which confirms that I’d probably send it down in its original case with Lyon and Healy instead of hauling it myself.
As an aside, I have no idea why I thought she was a style 23, she’s a style 17, so I dont know if that would change any of your thoughts. Thank you all again for your help on this, and I look forward to playing again soon!
Meredith Thomson
ParticipantThank you for your input!
I am interested in learning as well, as I’m afraid I made quite the blunder here. Its a LH23 from 1954, and having moved away from my family home some years back (2015?) where my harp lives, I had decided (possibly in some grave error) that easing the tension on the strings as much as possible would retard any warping of the neck (very little was visible at the time as it was). At present, it has all the strings on it, however they are quite loose, with minimal tension. It has been in my parents house away from direct sunlight, and had been regulated probably around 2013 most recently.
Now I am interested in getting back into playing now that I’m more settled in my career, and am also planning to move the harp from NJ to FL. I had started to think about how to retune, and I am afraid that my brash detuning may have damaged my old girl. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
-
AuthorPosts