I started learning to play the harp in 2012, at age 79. It’s challenges have given me endless joy and I believe the coordination required has helped to preserve whatever marbles I have left.
I had studied piano to an advanced level when young and played all my life. I have no doubt that being musically literate and skilled in another instrument has greatly enhanced my progress with the harp.
Because of osteo-arthritis in my spine I use an office chair with a back rather than a stool. My arthritic hands do not stop my practising, however I never persist with any passage or exercise which causes pain.
As far as diet goes – really! I don’t know how anyone can suggest that particular foods affect harp-playing! Naturally it’s wise to eat healthily no matter what one does.
I have a nylon-strung lever harp and would dearly like to expand musically with a pedal harp. However I’m not sure that at my age it is wise to acquire such a very large and heavy instrument. I am told too that all pedal harps have gut strings, and these are harder to pluck than nylon. No one seems to offer pedal harps for hire so I could try it.