Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
laura-smithburg-byrne
ParticipantThere are so many good ideas here that I hesitate to add my own. I have a few ideas that have worked for me and my students. I draw on my own experiences as a student and a professional to help my students find their way. I look at each student individually as to their motivation and style of learning as well as environmental factors and family dynamics. Being a mother of
laura-smithburg-byrne
ParticipantHi Michael,
Thank you for your suggestions, I have already changed my password several times.
I am doing my best to protect my computer from these viruses and hackers.
It is disgusting to think of the possibilities of darker minds who play on the internet with other peoples good names and businesses. These people take fraud and slander to a whole new level of slime and sleaze.laura-smithburg-byrne
ParticipantHi Karen,
Thank you for this excellent information! We all need to be aware of these computer scammers, hackers, and abusers. Hugh if you are reading this, you might want to put a bit in the magazine to warn other harpists. It’s helpful if we are aware of what to do with this e-mail garbage. I do a lot of advertizing for my free-lancing business and I wonder if that makes me more vulnerable on line than others.laura-smithburg-byrne
ParticipantHi Saul,
I just got an e-mail from “John Wayne” today. I get several of these from various people wanting their child to study with me. If they only knew how expensive and difficult it is to learn the harp they would never be so stupid as to try this scam. I also get a lot of these: Dear Beloved, I have 10 gazillion dollars to be given to you as I am the executor to the late so and so from the bank of Nigeria etc. etc. etc. I hate these guys, my spam folder if full of this every day. I am glad we can warn eachother about the bad guys.August 8, 2006 at 7:38 pm in reply to: New harpmobile- the most expensive accessory-(I hope!!) #69529laura-smithburg-byrne
ParticipantI am so happy to hear everyone’s reports for harpmobiles, it is such a huge $$$$ decision and we all need as much info as possible.
When your harpmobile has to serve as a multi-functional schlepmobile (especially with 3 kids) your needs are different. I LOVE my Toyota Sienna XLE but I am happy to hear the Honda Odyssey is such a good choice as well. My husband is a road warrior in his job and has had great luck with Toyotas in terms of reliability, minimun repairs, and comfortable ride. I am a shorter person and I need to feel comfortable driving long distances with adjustable back support, good sight lines, and easy console accessibility. Having all the bells and whistles and the COOL navigation system makes “gigging” a lot easier and a lot more fun . I love my stereo system and have been known to really crank it up when flying down the freeway to a gig. Having been so practical my whole career, it is amazing to have a great harpmobile that simoultaneously serves my domestic life so well. The best harpmobile is the one that suits your needs best and getting a great deal on it makes it all the sweeter.
Now if we could just get the price of gas to come down so we could afford to drive them we would be doing great. Happy car shopping everyone!July 3, 2006 at 11:12 pm in reply to: New harpmobile- the most expensive accessory-(I hope!!) #69487laura-smithburg-byrne
ParticipantDear Mary Ellen,
I have to RAVE about my new Toyota Sienna XLE for a harpmobile. My poor old Chevy Suburban was nearing 200,000 miles and dying a slow and expensive death. I decided to buy my first new car at the age of 43 as I am on the go with my harp gigs, students, and my three kids. I perform frequently and move my harp between 1-4 days a week and travel a bit depending on the season and how many rehearsals I have before a concert. Let me tell you how much I LOVE my new car!
The console is beautiful and comfortable for a shorter woman to reach. The Mc- factor is excellent all the way back to the third row with cupholders in convenient spots. It has automatic door opener buttons on the remote key chain and within the car. Both side doors and the hatchdoor open at the touch of the button. The back third row folds down completely into the cargo space.I lay down a plastic patio lounge chair pad and I load the harp in on its’ column . I slide it in between the two captains chairs where I pad around the harp with a body pillow so it is snug between the seats.There is hardly a lip where the back hatch closes but my pad is long enough to cover it while moving the harp. I move my harp with the column, bass, and full travel covers for padding and security for every gig.
I -
AuthorPosts