Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
kenk
ParticipantHi Biagio-
Thanks for that vid! Kind of inspiring- I watched several of David’s videos and to some degree, he’s a kindred spirit. I noticed in one of his guitar vids he has several unusual instruments on the wall. But it was especially good to see “my harp” in action. Sharpening blades, rather than levers- so much to learn. : )
On another note- strangely serendipitously, a friend sent me the following vid. He does send me a lot of jazz or world music vids, but no one yet knows I have a harp! I’m sure you’re very aware of Edmar Castaneda, but being new to the harp universe, I had never heard of him. Astounding!
Possibly today I’ll get that assessment from my friend, William.
Thanks for all your help.
Ken
kenk
ParticipantHi Biagio-
Yes that info does interest me- And you’re tight about it being a 33 string harp!
All but the top 5 strings have levers, there’s no “model #” on the plate,
it just says Markwood 1984.
It definetly has been reapired before, I can see the glue on the inside,
and what looks like a series of wood shims going beneath what I’ll call the inside bridge-
The string rib? The other rib (on the oustside) seems intact.
I’m just going to see what my repair friend says. He certainly wouldn’t attempt to do something he’s not qualified for. I’m hoping the problem is already taken care of,
and that’s what I’m wanting him to assess. I’ll keep you informed about it.
Thanks for your advise.
Ken
kenk
ParticipantHi Balgio,
thanks for the answer.
I also joined a yahoo harp group- so I’m copying my response from there
I hope you don’t mind as most of the replies were similar to yours : )
<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16633″ clear=”none” />I am encouraged and pleased to learn about my mistaken notion<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16634″ clear=”none” />that a harp has a limited shelf life.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16635″ clear=”none” />The crack is indeed vertical, <br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16636″ clear=”none” />and on closer inspection appears to be 2 separate small cracks running on the grain.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16637″ clear=”none” />Also it looks like some repair work has been done in the past, <br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16638″ clear=”none” />so maybe this problem has already been taken care of.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16639″ clear=”none” /><br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16640″ clear=”none” />I won’t tune it until I take it to my repair person next week.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16641″ clear=”none” />He usually works on the guitar family, from classicals to ukes and everything in between. <br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16642″ clear=”none” />He also does brass and woodwind repairs-<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16643″ clear=”none” />so I think if this does need some reinforcing, he’ll be up to the task,<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16644″ clear=”none” />and he’ll tell me if he isn’t.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16645″ clear=”none” /><br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16646″ clear=”none” />His dad, (now mostly retired) was in the shop when the harp came in.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16647″ clear=”none” />He was talking to the 2 woman who were hoping to sell it when I walked in.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16648″ clear=”none” />He declined so they offered it to me.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16649″ clear=”none” />One of them said it came from Hawaii-<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16650″ clear=”none” />My friend George thought it was either walnut or koa.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16651″ clear=”none” />Very interesting but not surprising to hear that koa was used at the time.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16652″ clear=”none” /><br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16653″ clear=”none” />Thanks again for the response-<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16654″ clear=”none” />I’ll update you when I get an answer.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16655″ clear=”none” />I think my friend will be able to take care of it, or it’s already good to go.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16657″ clear=”none” /><br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16658″ clear=”none” />Looking forward to learning this new instrument.<br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16659″ clear=”none” /><br id=”yiv0249876368yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1461701147530_16660″ clear=”none” />
Ken -
AuthorPosts