Kat B

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The Career of a Professional Harpist #144843
    Kat B
    Member

    Kay,

    I want to thank you for your input a LOT, it really resonated with me.

    Kat

    in reply to: The Career of a Professional Harpist #144842
    Kat B
    Member

    Saul,

    What do you mean specifically by “working abroad”? Do you mean doing the same orchestra/chamber ensemble gigs and teaching etc. but just in a foreign country? Does that make it any ‘easier’? Are there not just as many foreign harpists, trying to make a living?

    Kat

    in reply to: The Career of a Professional Harpist #144822
    Kat B
    Member

    Thanks Misty and Stephen, your answers are very detailed, helpful and realistic. Stephen, I checked out your website (this modern world we live in indeed) and found it interesting-thought provoking.
    So I guess what I am gleaning from all of this information is that it IS possible to make (some sort of) a living playing the harp, but that it’s not easy (when is the life of a musician ever easy or glamourous – unless your one of the “lucky” “media darlings”).
    Misty I like what you said: “but it sure as heck beats sitting at a 9-5 job in a boring cubicle for me at least”. That’s how I feel completely. Thanks again! Anymore people out there with some input?
    Kat

    in reply to: The Career of a Professional Harpist #144819
    Kat B
    Member

    If your 11 year old is practicing 2+ hours a DAY, doing orchestra rehearsals ALREADY, AND taking theory/harmony classes, I don’t think you have to worry about her having the “single-minded dedication” to do what she very obviously wants to do. She sounds more dedicated at age 11 than some of the students in the Music program at the university I am enrolled in with a very prestigious music program. When she is old enough to see the realities of a music career herself, then she can make up her own mind about whether or not it’s something she wants to pursue.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)