james

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: I want to play the harp! #255286
    james
    Participant

    Hi Balfour,

    That sounds like it was a lot of fun! I was in the south of France many years ago with an orchestra. A group of us were exploring the local roman amphitheatre, and on the spur of the moment we walked onto the stage and sang “Locus Iste”.
    All the other tourists sat down and listened. You should definitely take your harp if you go there!

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #255285
    james
    Participant

    Hi Wil,

    I’m in a detached house in a village, so noise isn’t a problem.

    Obviously there are many different instruments, but you and others have given me wonderful background information. I will soon be looking for a teacher.

    James

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254848
    james
    Participant

    Thank you, Balfour,
    your posts are always interesting. Yes, I can read music, but mostly play by ear. I’ve played many different instruments over my life, but found that my breathing was deteriorating with age, so rarely play the wind instruments now.

    Interesting to hear your story – mine is much the same. Even before starting any instrument I was always singing. I was lucky to have an enthusiastic teacher (straight out of college) to inspire me on the piano, but my life changed forever when my mother came home with a guitar!

    Music has always been a big part of my life, and my current sadness is that I can’t play in the band I belong to.

    The harp would be a nice quiet, reflective instrument for me. I thought it was more complicated, but you and other members have explained the pedal system very well.

    I will update you when I’ve found a teacher.

    Kind regards,

    James

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254808
    james
    Participant

    I’ve been singing or playing music for nearly sixty years, so every musical act for me is my own arrangement or original composition. I’ve played many instruments in that time – everything is just technique. The harp is at least a logical instrument, low notes at one end, high notes at the other.

    I am interested in the harp more for its beautiful sound than being able to “show off” by playing at speed or being a showman.

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254807
    james
    Participant

    Thanks for the kind wishes, the same to you both.

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254773
    james
    Participant

    To Wil, Balfour, Biagio and Charles-
    Thank you all very very much. Your posts have answered all my questions and given me a few extra tips, too.

    I will now begin my search for a teacher – which may take some time.
    Due to Lockdown all music lessons at the local school are now being held online, and I haven’t seen the harp teacher along the road recently.

    Thanks again for your help so far!

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254696
    james
    Participant

    Thank you, Balfour,
    That’s (for me) the fundamental fact I needed – and have discovered over the past few days. Having started on piano at about 8, then played many different instruments, the harp was a bit of a mystery. Knowing what I now know I can understand why the harp is regularly used for playing glissandos – because it can! By setting the right levers or pedals you can play in any key, whereas a keyboard instrument (prior to synthesisers) could only play in C major.

    I feel a lot more confident about now approaching teachers and looking for a lever harp to rent.

    Kind regards,

    James

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254695
    james
    Participant

    Hello Biagio,
    What a great story! It sounds like you’re a hobby woodworker, so I’m sure building the instruments is a large part of the fun for you. I will avoid that particular option, but you are, as you say, lucky to be where there are many other harpists.
    I bought an electric theatre organ after having having seen one played in an old cinema!

    I think my next move is to find a teacher.

    Kind regards,

    James

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254694
    james
    Participant

    Hello Balfour,
    Many thanks for the excellent description of lever and pedal harps. Obviously a harp with neither would be very restricting. I have a couple of old glockenspiels, which are in C, but come with an F# and a Bb for expansion.

    You said the pedal harp is tuned in C flat – isn’t that rather confusing? Or is it just “one of those things you get used to”?

    Anyway, with help from you and others, I feel a lot more engaged in the harp business.
    Kind regards,
    James

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254693
    james
    Participant

    Thank you very much wil-weten!
    What a great help.
    I’ve watched quite a few videos now from harpists already mentioned, and together with the advice I’m getting, I feel a lot more informed.

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254668
    james
    Participant

    Hello charles-nix,
    thanks for your input. Do harpists play different instruments, or is the sort of thing where you either play Celtic or pedal? There must be different techniques for the different types, but I’m approaching it as a complete outsider, so am fishing for any help available.

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254667
    james
    Participant

    Hello Biagio,
    thanks for the hint – I haven’t met the local harp teacher yet, but I know there is one who comes to the nearby school. This would be a new instrument to me, so I like to have a bit of knowledge before approaching a professional.

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254666
    james
    Participant

    Hello Balfour,
    thanks for taking the time to reply – you’ve given a lot of help with pedal harps. I’ve noticed that harps have many different numbers of strings – maybe I should go for the biggest so I don’t feel restricted later on.
    I found an excellent instruction video by Jacqueline Pollauf which gave me a lot of help.

    I guess the next level down is one with levers?
    There’s a harpbuilder called Gosewinkel not too far away, who makes a 27-string with 14 levers. How would this compare with a piano-keyboard for notes?

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254665
    james
    Participant

    Hello wil-weten,
    many thanks for your hints and tips. I’d heard of Mr Gosewinkel, as there’s one of his instruments for sale nearby. But “no levers, but real hooks” doesn’t help, because I don’t know where they come in.
    I’d already seen a few of Ms Marais’ videos, but all the “introduction” videos so far assume one already has an instrument.
    I wasn’t aware of the german forum – I will look into it.

    This could all take a little time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)