Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Gwen R.
ParticipantHello again! And welcome to the discussion, Lily!
RE: GREGG, Thank you for sharing that information from your conversations with SW regarding the differences between the Ravenna / Crescendo / FH series. Something you touched on that spoke to me especially, was about collecting the good “bang for your buck” instruments as you get a lot of quality to enjoy as (I’ll phrase it this way) a more casual musician. This goes back to when I said that what makes this debate so difficult is that the Ravenna IS such a wonderful harp! Going from the Allegro to the Ravenna was such a leaps and bounds improvement – frankly I was wowed. And since I have only been back to studying and playing the harp for a few months, I do feel that making such a big financial investment (in the FH) does feel a bit, well, indulgent. Of course I do want to acquire the best quality instrument that I can afford, but the truth is the only reason I’m even considering the FH36 (right now) is because the opportunity to buy the used one appeared and I decided not to dismiss it out of hand. I’ve genuinely been quite happy with the Ravenna and know there are far greater depths of beauty to be found in it as my skill increases. Of course then the FH got under my skin and now I’ve tormented myself with the debate! LOL!!
Also, what do you think about this? The used FH36 I am considering is about 10 years old. The Ravenna was brand new out of the workshop when I picked it up.
RE: LILY, not sure if this helps with your decision making process as I have no knowledge of your specific circumstances, but if money was no obstacle, I would absolutely get the FH36S over the Ravenna. However, it does sound like the affordability of the R34 was a selling point for you too. But let me know what you end up doing, please!!
RE: BALFOUR: 100%. Yes. I agree. The most important thing is to play the harp and keep playing it, as you said. I grew up in a musical family and have always wanted to play an instrument proficiently. The longest run I had was 2 years of lessons with a wonderful teacher. Last year when I reconnected with the harp it was through my love of MUSIC itself which has led me down a rabbit hole of learning that has been unbelievably exciting. I challenged myself to practice every day for a month – I am now on day 107 or 108 ?!? I remember practicing feeling like a slog and an obligation, but these days I genuinely can’t wait to get home from work so I can get to my harp. For the first time I am in love with the whole process!
BTW Cherie is gorgeous!! I listened to the sound clip on DS website and I know they are all different but if it’s anything close then I can see why she won your heart!
Gregg & Balfour: Both of you are organists??? My husband recently started learning to play the organ. As of November last year we have a 1979 Allen digital organ instead of a dining table!
TL;DR – I think I am currently leaning toward the Ravenna due to the quality-to-price balance, but I will try to play the FH again before I make a final decision (and of course I’ll post in here when I decide!).
Gwen R.
ParticipantHello Gregg and Balfour (and Carol Lynn!),
Thank you both for taking the time to respond to my query!
One thing you both helped put my mind at ease about was my concern that the Ravenna might be a “student” or “beginner” instrument and that I might be shortchanging myself by going that way. I have been doing so much reading and research that it is easy to get caught up in the marketing (which probably has more to do with price than anything else). But after hearing your testimonials I am reassured that it is a subjective matter of which harp one prefers! (By the way can you tell yet that I am the analytical over-thinker type? LOL!).
While I am leaning toward sticking with the Ravenna at this point I will probably see if i can play the FH once more to be sure.
Wishing you a Happy St Patrick’s Day today! I hope it involves some great music! 😊
-
AuthorPosts