elizabeth-palladino–2

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Help! One string keeps breaking! :( #113094

    Hi Daniele–I also am fairly new to the harp and to my Dusty Strings FH36S. Two things have been very helpful to me: Go on the Dusty Strings website and print off their instructions for changing strings–then double-check yourself by referring to them each time you change a string. Also, just call Dusty Strings and confer with them about the problem. They are incredibly receptive and helpful over the phone. My problem was that I kept breaking my bass wires because I did not realize how brittle the phosphor-bronze strings were, and that they needed only tiny little tweaks with the tuning key–also, I was not backing out the tuning keys four turns before putting on a new string. Getting a teacher also helped immeasurably–I play other instruments, so could get some music out of my harp–but in a lot of ways I was just practicing mistakes. In terms of strings, my teacher says never-ever have any kind of lotion on your fingers when you play. She says to wash your fingers with dishwashing detergent, then apply vinegar, and make sure your fingers are totally dry before you touch your strings. She plays in public all the time, and that is what she always does–but she says her strings break sometimes with the changing seasons no matter what.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)