Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,536 through 2,550 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #85090

    No it is not.

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #83865

    But it works beautifully and is standard for many many harpists!!!!!

    My version leaves all the notes intact.

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #84578

    But it works beautifully and is standard for many many harpists!!!!!

    My version leaves all the notes intact.

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #85088

    But it works beautifully and is standard for many many harpists!!!!!

    My version leaves all the notes intact.

    in reply to: Teacher Tips for Developing Muscle Memory? #87194

    I find many etudes boring and prefer to do repetitive exercises. Why? Because I don’t have to think about the notes after the first time through, so I can concentrate solely on what I am trying to improve. If you are talking about developing muscle memory in learning repertoire, repetition is the key, and to break it down into musical syllables small enough to absorb, such as half of a measure. You must repeat it at least TEN times CORRECTLY, to make it stick. If you make a mistake, you have to start over. That was Miss Lawrence’s rule, which she delighted in. I think that was play to her. She loved the process. So, if you do it seven times, you will learn, but the last three lock it in as do any extra repetitions. For an adult professional,

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #83863

    If you write mine out, you’ll see that the precise location of the pedal changes are often adjustable by a sixteenth or more, so there is always the possiblity of three sixteenths between changes, giving more time. However, a harpist needs to be able to pedal this fast, no matter what. It just takes some work and good shoes. There are many pieces that require much more difficult pedalling, hard as this is.

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #84576

    If you write mine out, you’ll see that the precise location of the pedal changes are often adjustable by a sixteenth or more, so there is always the possiblity of three sixteenths between changes, giving more time. However, a harpist needs to be able to pedal this fast, no matter what. It just takes some work and good shoes. There are many pieces that require much more difficult pedalling, hard as this is.

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #85086

    If you write mine out, you’ll see that the precise location of the pedal changes are often adjustable by a sixteenth or more, so there is always the possiblity of three sixteenths between changes, giving more time. However, a harpist needs to be able to pedal this fast, no matter what. It just takes some work and good shoes. There are many pieces that require much more difficult pedalling, hard as this is.

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #83862

    Well, that would depend on your choice of tempo and how you overall interpret Debussy’s tempo markings, which are unrealistic. To do it any differently would mean changing or omitting notes, I am certain. I will find out how workable it is as I work up the tempo. I suggest you include with your article Salzedo’s solution as well, which was independently arrived at by another composer.

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #84575

    Well, that would depend on your choice of tempo and how you overall interpret Debussy’s tempo markings, which are unrealistic. To do it any differently would mean changing or omitting notes, I am certain. I will find out how workable it is as I work up the tempo. I suggest you include with your article Salzedo’s solution as well, which was independently arrived at by another composer.

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #85085

    Well, that would depend on your choice of tempo and how you overall interpret Debussy’s tempo markings, which are unrealistic. To do it any differently would mean changing or omitting notes, I am certain. I will find out how workable it is as I work up the tempo. I suggest you include with your article Salzedo’s solution as well, which was independently arrived at by another composer.

    in reply to: great axioms for practising and performing #87389

    How about this variation: A string is no better than the finger on it.

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 or Lyon and Healy 85P #161468

    Do I smelly something Jakey?

    in reply to: Placing in sequence #87372

    If only there were fewer nitwits working at the publishers, one wouldn’t have to nitpick nearly as much.

    in reply to: Placing in sequence #87369

    Who said anything on the harp is easy? Yes, block placing is more difficult at first, but it is necessary for clean playing and good phrasing. One-at-a-time placing is only for when you can’t do it, or need a special effect.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,536 through 2,550 (of 2,806 total)